Problems fitting a series 111 engine and box to a series 11 chassis

German Shepherd

Being a new owner of a series 3 Land Rover, I am in need of some help please.

Having recently retired i bought a 1973 swb series 3 with the intention of restoring, however when I completely stripped the old girl I found that the chassis was well gone so I bought a replacement rolling chassis which was in fair condition, however after stripping and rebuilding the engine, I have tried to refit the engine and box to the replacement chassis and found that the slave cylinder is fouling on the engine cross member so it is stopping the box going down far enough to bolt on to the mountings. 

From reading a number of posts on various LR sites, it looks like I have bought a series 2 chassis, which has a different engine crossmember to a series 3.

So to cut a long story short, can I grind out sufficient of the crossmember to enable the slave cylinder and box to fit? Plus are there any other major differences between the series 2 and 3 chassis?

Many thanks