Series IIA Left Side Sag

Ryan B

Hello,

I am new to the forum and would love some advice. 

I have a 1966 Series IIA  that I replaced the rear leaf springs on. One the rear left side I had to pull the shackle in with a strap to bolt on the rear spring. On the other side the shackle moved freely back and forth. In my excitement in getting it back together I assumed that it would not make a difference. Now I have a one inch difference in the back and I cant stand it. 

Should I have spring in these shackles, get a new bushing, or is something wrong with the freely moving one? I  want an idea of what I am dealing with before I tear her apart again. 

Thanks!!

20171114_131145.jpg

You should slacken all the bolts, on the springs and the shackles, allow the suspension to settle, and only retorque them with the wheels in the ground. 

This is covered in the manual. 

You certainly shouldn’t be pulling the shackles in with a strap!

if one side is free to move then the bushing is probably shagged.

jon

That is a nice  88 SW you have there , welcome to the forum . As Jon says the bolts should be loosened and only tightened with the weight of the vehicle resting on them on a level surface .

Which supplier did you choose and are they multi-leaf of parabolic?  

cheers

Steve b

Thanks guys. I purchased the springs from Rovers North and they are parabolic. I will slacken all of the bolts and hopefully it will settle. I do have the manual but failed to read about slackening all of the bolts. Sometimes I get too excited and skip through when it seems straight forward to do. Great advice. I absolutely love my series and it gets a lot of attention here in the state of Utah in the US. 

Thanks!!

Probably Rocky Mountain springs, which are good.  Slackening all the bolts on level ground, rocking the vehicle and retightening should sort it.  Make sure you slacken the shackle bolts, not just the nuts - the nuts are locking, but the shackles are threaded too.