Hard Top Rear Load Mat

Hi all,
I have a 200TDI 110 Hardtop and after covering the back in Dynamat I'd like to cover the floor areas with something durable and easy to clean, ideally that adds to noise reduction. I use plastic boxes a lot on expedition and so need to slide them backwards and forwards so the surface needs to be flat rather than patterned/check plate etc
I see Britpart  (DA4503) offer a load liner for the 110, with foam on one side. Sounds ideal, 3 of these to to cover the floor and full length wheel arches with some ali corner strips to hold it into place.
However I'm concerned about the foam used, will it hold water etc. I have asked Britpart but not holding my breath for an answer.

Can anybody offer an opinion on this please?
Or offer any better solutions?

(DA4503 - Heavy Duty Rear Floor Mat to fit110 hard top rear floor. 5mm rubber with 6mm foam backing - 93 x 198cm)

Same here really, i got a 4'x6' rubber stable mat and cut it to size. They come in various thicknesses, mines 15mm i think....it's heavy but hard warring too. Has bobbles one side and channels the other, channel side down if you want it to drain water or whichever way you choose..... Mines been in 9yrs and still going strong!

Edited by Mutley

Yes, do a search for "Cow Mat" - it's a thick rubbery-but-grippy mat used in cattle-sheds/stables.

Combines anti-slip with additional sound-damping! Your local agricultural/equestrian-stuff supplier/farm-store should be able to supply you some.

Awesome replies everybody, thanks very much.
Cow matt looks great ;-)
Does it smell at all (when new)? I sleep in the vehicle a lot.

If anybody can suggest a place that can cut it to size neatly and ship it I'd be extremely grateful. 

Edited by roamingyak

Interesting, can someone put up a link? My mate has rubber coin in the rear of his RRC,  every time he opens the boot the smell is quite strong and I think that would give me a migraine if I was sleeping in there. Sounds ideal for the 110........ sorry for deflecting slightly 😁😁😁

I have the usual carpet in the back of my SW but like you I have boxes to slide in and out from under the sleeping platform when on a trip. I bought a roll end of lino for £5 and and it just sits there on top of the carpet. It's so handy that it is now a permanent feature.

Yep that's the mats DC_

I put bobble side down, channel side up so it's easier to slide boxes in and out, but they dont slide when driving though.

As said no overpowering smell! I suffer with migranes and it doesn't affect me.

• Like 1

Thanks again everybody, great suggestions.
Sadly all of the ebay options seem to have crazy shipping costs to Portugal where I live, so exploring what some of the other online options can provide, but confused by it all now ;) 
http://therubbercompany.com/products/armaflex-sheet-roll/

https://rubbersmart.co.uk/

roamingyak, if you post up your location you'll probably get more suggestions that are relevant, whatever your question.  Anyway, I looked up "cow mat" and "horse mat" on eBay over here, Canada, and had positive hits, so if you look up the equivalent, in Portugese, you might find the material you want without crippling freight charges.

Mike

On 08/02/2018 at 3:43 AM, Troll Hunter said:

roamingyak, if you post up your location you'll probably get more suggestions that are relevant, whatever your question.  Anyway, I looked up "cow mat" and "horse mat" on eBay over here, Canada, and had positive hits, so if you look up the equivalent, in Portugese, you might find the material you want without crippling freight charges.

Mike

Thanks Mike, so far my location out of the UK hasn't been an issue, postage is often very cheap to Portugal and only takes 3-4 days. It's just on ebay it seems auto calculated by weight so the pricing is unrealistic. I can get the Britpart mat here for £15 shipping in 3 days for example (but am loath to buy it without seeing the 'quality' ;) )
But it's been a great discussion, thanks for the input from everybody and I shall try some google maps searching for equestrian and farming outlets, but with a much smaller and less wealthy population here there is often higher prices and less selection etc

• 7 months later...

I think its nice to return to older threads and update on the solution used to add to the pool of knowledge out there.
So in the end I couldn't find anything locally, and struggle to ask for it which is perhaps the biggest problem.
Shipping from ebay for such big bulky and heavy items wasn't great, and I was ordering a whole bunch of seat stuff from exMoor trim anyway, so in the end I found a good solution from them plus others:

1. Everything covered in Silent Coat 2mm
2. Load bay has 2mm Tecsound Sound barrier and then this 5mm rubber from exMoor. It should be hard wearing and the channels make dust removal very easy. Could only find 3mm rubber locally and it was pitted so dust is harder to clean off.  
3. For the wheel arches I used this kit from exMoor which comes pre cut and was easy to install. It's 'sound capturing' foam glued to rubber.
Used velcro for now, may glue later, but velcro is better if it works well.
The kit comes with a load bay piece, however I measured this up and it would give me 3 strips that I could use elsewhere....

4. For the curved side walls above the wheel arches I cut two strips and then screwed them into place use Ali strips at the top and then velcro in the middle and bottom (the foam and rubber pulls apart if you don't screw it in place with the Ali strips, bloody gravity)
5. Enough was left over the cut a strip for the part at the bottom of the internal bulkhead and the rear of the seats.

I can't fasten it all down 100% due to wanting to fit a water tank etc, but its 90% done. I can't drive on the motorway at the moment, but its clearly moved from being a tin can echo chamber to a quieter place just from driving around my property and working inside her...

Principle is to 1. Dampen vibrations (ie: stop it) and then 2. block sound from travelling through the air (closed cell foam) and then 3. protect these materials (rubber, which also helps with blocking sound)
I used Silent Coat because its cheaper and seems exactly the same as Dynamat, but is silver, the black of Dynamt looks better its its not covered etc
Brett has a video of his experiences here if your interested.

Thanks again for all of the help and suggestions!

silentcoat.jpg

rubbermatt1.jpg

tecsound.jpg

rearmatting1.jpg

rearmatting2.jpg

• Like 1