Screeching PAS Pump/Pulley,Poor Lock Radius

Hi Guys 1 have an 87 Defender 110. My original  Hoburn Eaton PAS pump leaked at long last. It was also screeching  before it reached full lock, as the pulley seized. Had to back the steering lock bolts further and further out.

Was not screeching/seizing like this from new,but as it developed over past year or two I still had to un it a few thousand miles of African bushwork in "screech" mode as I had work to do. The further I drove, the worse the screeching would get when on full lock.I have changed the PAS  for a new Britpart equivalent .

Surprise that it still screeches. Changed  PAS pump belt. Screeches. 

(a) Some owners can get about 15mm between the tyre and the front link on full lock. Mine is screeching at 70mm distance. So I have very poor lock indeed. Any attept to go below 70mm and the screeching gets horrendous.

(b) The  belt is toothed. What have a toothed belt and a plain pulley? 

(c)  I have tensioned the PAS pump belt all the way as far as it will go, and still have an inch of slack. I reasoned that this belt had to be very tight to drive the pump under extreme lock when the ADWEST PAS steering gear is putting massive pressure on the PAS pump.  But I cant tighten further, there is no adjustment left in the slotted PAS pump mounting plate.

(d) Therefore could it be the actual PAS pump pulley ET5783 is worn and that is why the belt is slipping and PAS pump locking up then releasing in a cycle?

Ideas welcome folks. Thanks

Peter Nairobi

Edited by peterg123
Typos

I have had success ditching the Europart  Chinese PAS pump belt, having found an older  one made in Denmark. The Britpart ones are longer and thus cannot get the proper adjustment tight enough to stop the slipping and subsequent squealing.

Edited by peterg123
Change
  • Like 1

The screeching noise is possibly caused by brake fluid being released through the pressure release valve.  This could be due to a power steering box problem causing the fluid pressure required to achieve full lock being higher than normal, or it could be due to a deterioration of the pressure release valve passing fluid at a lower pressure than design.  I don't know how you could check out these conditions without installing a pressure gauge in the high pressure supply from the pump.  Possibly you could swap the steering box for a known good unit, if available.

Mike

Thanks Mike but if you put brake fluid in your PAS pump, you will be in for rouble! That said, yes, that could be the problem- in the PAS box rather than the pump. What I discoevred is, if you go for a proper Land Rover belt, it's fine..even a Britpart one....the Europart ones caused my problem...

The steering box  might have been labouring at travel of the  PA rack rack ast point X...but as I have not a spare I'll go with the solution of the better belt for the moment.

The Europart belts are 75.25mm O (sorry 73.5 CMS!)D, the original LR and Britparts ones are 73.5 mm (CVMS!--edit). Herein the prob! You cant get the Europart one tight enough.

Edited by peterg123
Typos

"The Europart belts are 75.25mm OD, the original LR and Britparts ones are 73.5 mm. Herein the prob! You cant get the Europart one tight enough."

peterg123, thanks for pointing out my typo.  Yes, power steering fluid obviously. 

I think in your post you meant width not OD or cm not mm.  Touche!  We all need a little help from our friends.

However, if the Europart belts are smaller diameter, why can't you get them tight enough?  I'm totally confused:unsure:

Mike

Dear  Troll Hunter.....well the belt is a sectioned circle, so it has an OD and an ID............73.5mm  was surely wrong... should have been Cms...you are right! Darn the weekend has hit too fast!

Edited by peterg123