defender 200tdi engine mounts

Hi all , fitted the glencoyne mounts last week when I did the transfer box swap , I changed all 4 . The ones I took off were really hard couldn’t press my finger into them at all , and what a difference with the new ones fitted at idle the electric fuel pump and radio are louder than the engine , it hasn’t stopped the small amount of vibration that was there before but they have taken all the harshness out of it the floor plates don’t vibrate as bad as they used to , am well impressed.

cheers Ian 

• Like 1

On 21/02/2018 at 9:26 AM, Les Brock said:

Me just to be awkward ...as you do...prob wont help the majority

I run Discovery 1 brackets and mountings on mine courtesy of brackets from Dave Lang, but it was built with that in mind. very little vibration at all.

How have you managed this Les on a galv chassis, did you request it from the supplier or did you fab it all up and then have the chassis galvanised. I would like these on mine and it would be great if there are some bolt on mount to standard chassis mounting points.

thanks 

Jon

On 3/31/2018 at 6:17 PM, Jon W said:

How have you managed this Les on a galv chassis, did you request it from the supplier or did you fab it all up and then have the chassis galvanised. I would like these on mine and it would be great if there are some bolt on mount to standard chassis mounting points.

thanks 

Jon

Hi Jon,

I'll get you some pics and explain tomorrow

• 2 months later...

To add to this thread, I fitted a set of four of the Glencoyne low-vibration mounts to mine during the re-chassis. The rubber is much softer as above.

There is far less vibration at idle, even when cold, it’s quite impressive actually. On the old mounts (genuine LR) when it was cold it was quite rough for a few miles until warmed up, though fine once warm. This seems good from cold, though it being summer I suppose it’s not a real test until I’m starting it below zero.

My only concern is longevity. Softer rubber and therefore lower vibration must come at a price so we’ll see how they last.

13 hours ago, Retroanaconda said:

My only concern is longevity. Softer rubber and therefore lower vibration must come at a price so we’ll see how they last.

Hopefully not - 300 mounts are very soft, but they don't fail that often.  The softer rubber's ability to dissipate energy could make it last longer than the hard ones.  Mine lasted a while, anyway, and hopefully yours will too.

• Like 1

I meant to post the following email exchange earlier, but old age overtook me - I forgot!  Anyway, here it is, from 08th April 2018.  First, my email to Glencoyne

Quote:

I have read glowing reports of your "softer" engine mounts for 200Tdi engines, particularly on the LR4x4.com forum. Despite a number of your advert headlines claiming to have mounts for 300Tdi engines, the details, unfortunately, go on to specify that they are not for the 300Tdi. So, are you able to offer any recommendation for softer mounts for the 300Tdi and R380 gearbox, please?

Unquote.

And the reply I received.

Quote:

I have now renewed that listing several times, sold around 80 pairs through it, and neither I nor anyone else has noticed the error in the heading.  Thank you very much for pointing it out.

As for your question, 300TDi mounts are something I have wanted to do for a while but will be a bit more complicated as they are vehicle-specific rather than a generic bobbin-type mount.  So the tooling cost for a small run would be prohibitive.  I will be looking at designing an adapter to fit between the engine mount and chassis bracket, allowing the 200TDi mounts to be used, but given my workload at the moment I have no idea when I will be able to design, fabricate and test this.  The gearbox mounts are something else again and I am not sure whether there will be room for an adapted 200 mount to fit there,I haven't looked at it yet. For now I am relying on good second hand original engine mounts for 300s, the aftermarket replacements I have tried are horrible. Bearmach gearbox mounts on the other hand seem OK.

Kind regards,

Richard Hall

Unquote

I have also followed up directly with Bearmach and my enquiry and their response is below.

Quote:

Subject: 300 Tdi engine mounts
Comment: My vehicle has been fitted with a 300Tdi engine and R380 gearbox. I've read good reports on LR4x4.com fora of the softer rubber engine/gearbox mounts supplied by Bearmach. I currently suffer gross engine/gearbox vibration in the cabin. Please can you recommend the appropriate mounts for both items. Many thanks.

Unquote

And their reply.

Quote:
Thank you for your email, i can confirm that the Bearmach branded Mounts are made of a softer rubber that absorbs and minimizes the vibration of the engine. 
please see links below for the correct mounts for your 300TDi 

Kind Regards,

Harry Birnie
Unquote

I am awaiting their response on R380 mounts and will update when I receive it.

Mike
  • Like 1

• 4 months later...
  • 3 years later...