side window vents

Having my dashboard in pieces I now get to marvel at the engineering that is pipe in hole to windscreen for the vents.  Surely side vent mod is just this ?

http://www.retroanaconda.com/landrover/2011/11/defender-side-window-demisters/ 

Anyone who has looked at it find neat adaptors for the entry into the box and neat vents for the end panels  ? 

Do the puma ones fit? 

https://www.exmoortrim.co.uk/our-models/defender/defender-110/defender-110-puma-2007-onwards/accessories/genuine-landrover-end-vents-lh-rh.html

Can’t find any that small. Tried car vents, small vents you get in mpvs which I would be tempted with for top of crash pad directed towards windows if my rev counter wasn’t there. Even Lizard tank vents. Puma ones look too big so I’m thinking 3D printing maybe or is that likely to be more than the mud kit ?

Have a look in my build thread here:

I used a cable grommet with the plastic trunking.

At the moment I've literally cut a 20mm hole through each side of the dash and poked it through.

I did see those plastic finishers...they could work and direct the air a bit better than mine!

Steve

I fitted a pair of those screw-on demisters that fit over the existing vents and sit along the top of the dash.  It might be because I have a SIII and the windscreen demister vent is a bit smaller than the Defender type, but they're next to useless.  They also direct the air too high on the windows.  I might try restricting their windscreen slots to force more air along their side tubes, now that I have heated screens, but I can't recommend that product.  The methods shown above will get better results (as well as look better and direct the air to the lower corners, so you can see the mirrors better).

On ‎2018‎-‎02‎-‎11 at 8:06 PM, mad_pete said:

Having my dashboard in pieces I now get to marvel at the engineering that is pipe in hole to windscreen for the vents.  Surely side vent mod is just this ?

http://www.retroanaconda.com/landrover/2011/11/defender-side-window-demisters/ 

Anyone who has looked at it find neat adaptors for the entry into the box and neat vents for the end panels  ? 

Do the puma ones fit? 

https://www.exmoortrim.co.uk/our-models/defender/defender-110/defender-110-puma-2007-onwards/accessories/genuine-landrover-end-vents-lh-rh.html

I've bought a bag full of the puma vents, but on getting them they're not really conducive to fitting in the right place, they're a bit big and square and you generally have a round hose supplying the air... round hose square fitting... problem...

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I've gone down a slightly different route, designing and printing an under dashboard vent that can be rotated to point towards the windows. Seems to help and also allows me to keep my feet warm by redirecting the passenger one when I'm on my own !

IMG_7483.JPG

IMG_7484.JPG

• Like 2

Cool vents. The weep vents do restrict slightly based on scientific test of blowing through the pipe. Does painting the top of the lower dash need anything special or can I just hammerite it as that’s my answer to all painting jobs.

Hammerite will work, but a coat of zinc rich or red oxide primer followed by some Halfords black load bay aerosol (similar idea to Raptor paint) will be tougher and longer lasting.  Some of the best options are Buzzweld products.

• Thanks 1

I went into Halfords and saw the load liner paint. For some reason I can’t find it on their web site. As it can’t be seen I’ve gone with hammer rite and it’s not great painting but through the power of clever lighting the photos will look amazing. 

Drilled some holes in the side panels. 

7880B5D4-79A0-4E2D-B388-3844280DE1AC.thumb.jpeg.2f9ebacb2a1749ac1f28caca7cc08289.jpeg

And put the vents in. The rubber hose is a touch inflexible but I think it will be okay.

5DC4935B-EBF8-4019-8783-B1F2C15ECAE9.thumb.jpeg.aad418a29bf4902873a2c3dffdf2c427.jpegE3A7A80B-FB88-46E0-BCD3-7CA88EBA496A.thumb.jpeg.51fa3adcbaa79d6c7560a86e1892168e.jpegand yes the vents are pointing the wrong way in one of the photos. :-)

• 3 weeks later...

Well it’s shiny, you can see in the reflection where removal of previous paint wasn’t that rigorous.DF2442BC-1B5E-4E5E-9B8B-7622537CD247.thumb.jpeg.c3a5ed2c5b4286ac43590a6401cb5394.jpeg

also vent seals came up quite nicely with Autoglym rubber and vinyl spray.

F6AE967A-1B91-4DD9-85CE-8A97DF8BC67E.thumb.jpeg.a54c5baa10dd1f3e241a3d6bcae45e6b.jpeg

Once I’ve got the heater seal in the right place I’ll refit. The photo is after and before :-)