side window vents

• 4 months later...

so slow but sure progress (one out of two).  Bought a nibbler and that certainly had a good chew. Found it very got at cutting, cornering not so much....

IMG_4155.JPG.e93242e29282dc448f489dbf89b9e243.JPG

Still bit of edging can hide all the teeth marks. 

IMG_E4156.JPG.db5d14ebf50ce77f20e642d7f2a8d173.JPG

This photo explains the strange fit of my vent on this side.  Originally had the centre screw vents and someone swapped to side screws. I can see where it's marked out and then drill somewhere quite different.  Still another hole sorts that.

Other side a more traditional drill and file, that went a lot better. 

IMG_4158.JPG.b6f537955a57fcbb68f6856c6e882bc6.JPG

IMG_E4160.JPG.9f78236de57b99abc521c2f5695b3b8c.JPG

and onto test fitting 

IMG_4348.JPG.80f29f236a80d8aecbaad7774a693058.JPG

IMG_4349.JPG.7b43d4e50b4b4e193781531b7e244613.JPG

Just waiting for John Craddock to get on and get me some grommets and the rest can go back on I think. 

• 3 weeks later...

OK, so I'm late to this party.

I went round a scrap yard looking for such vent grilles. The only ones I found that were vaguely useful shaped were from a first gen Merc A-class. See corner of this pic.
They are very shallow mouldings and would need glueing in. I've not found the round tuit needed to complete this mod yet.

image.png.c4f1c69f6779f3bd9488a2b8c3f8ea37.png

• 3 months later...

There is of course a kit to install vents in the ends of the dash, although at just over £100 it’s expensive for what you get (no worse than LR genuine parts prices though!)

l fitted said kit, it comes with new air trunking (the shaped pieces under the main vents) which are designed to deflect more air to the side vents.

ln use it works OK, obviously the side vents are quite small so they don’t work like Puma ones, but on the low heater fan setting they will keep a large part of the side windows clear once you’ve wiped the initial condensation off.

kit choices are I think 

Demister kit 1

Demister kit 2

if you want something that works I’d suggest getting the cheaper kit.  If I did mine again I’d use plastic hose not rubber as the rubber is slightly inflexible and really given the time for me i’d recommend the more expensive kit with the adjustable vents.  I did it as a bit of a challenge but the hours it took wasn’t quite worth it. Of course others may view differently that’s just my take on it.

I think parts wise it was about £20 - £25 for do it yourself.

• 1 year later...
On 1/7/2019 at 6:41 PM, Snagger said:

I have type 2 from Pete's links.  I can't recommend them - they seem to do nothing for my vehicle (apart from look ugly).

Oddly compared to Nick's experience they work a treat in mine ! I can also boost it a bit with the bilge blower.

Mo

48 minutes ago, mad_pete said:

Look can everybody stop hijacking my thread with cheaper and easier solutions please ?

just kidding looks a great bit of kit. 🙂 

Pete,

I really don't like the look of the bolt-on-top demisters. It's a personal thing ;)

I am part way through (i think I've been working on it as long as you have yours) a home brew solution of the dash side vents. The LR variation of it is pretty basic really. I'm using 20mm plastic conduit, but I've seen others use 15mm copper pipe. 
Hopefully the combination of methods will have a good effect.