Condensation from son's pvc military 110

skirky dave

Posted this on the Defender page but no answers forthcoming. Can anyone help with this problem, please .

Ok, so along with my son's Thermostat to sort out, ( when i see him )...He's informed me of another problem which he is finding is a little annoying .

As most of you experienced Land Rover owners are aware, the military 110 now comes with the pvc rag top as opposed to the Duck canvas of old.

The problem is that the pvc does not breath so it collects condensation on the inside everywhere and drips.

Further investigation on the web, brought me to the Rad Haz Insulation Kit, does any of you guys have any experience with these.

They look to me as though there made of nylon so may produce condensation, which isn't going to solve the problem. Or have i got that wrong ??.

His only other option is to find a new 110 Canvas top £££, The pvc top he has at the moment is the FFR Wolf type with the ability to fasten the spare wheel on either side of the vehicle.

It would be perfect to find a Canvas of the same design.

Any other ideas how to stop the dripping.

Cheers guys 

Dave.

Try a coat of this or similar:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B003U47QBY/ref=asc_df_B003U47QBY50077704/?tag=googshopuk-21&creative=22110&creativeASIN=B003U47QBY&linkCode=df0&hvadid=218000428312&hvpos=1o2&hvnetw=g&hvrand=17697588320727737767&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=&hvdev=m&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=9045735&hvtargid=pla-360096686538

Its a nanotechnology coating that repels water. Condensation can't build up if it can't stick to the surface! I use it on goggles to stop them steaming up. Clever stuff. 

lo-fi

Many thanks for getting back to me, your the first and it's very much appreciated.

I shall certainly look into that one. To be honest LO-FI, i was hoping to find a thread on one of the many Land Rover forums, with someone experiencing the exact same problem, but no. So just how the military lads deal with this, i don't know. Which is why i was looking at the kit. My old series 2A has the canvas top with non of these problems. But Nicky's drips like a tap, mainly on your head and neck.

Cheers again mate.

Yeah, i shall tell him about this when i see him.. To be honest LO-FI, you would have thought that someone would have picked up on this problem because i'm sure my son isn't the only owner of this kind of soft top. Some sort of rot proof detachable cotton canvas  roof liner, fastened just under the the roof line to catch the condensation and then desperses to atmosphere would have been ideal.

It's only in the winter when this problem arises with this material, when cold air meets warmer air. 

The first time i saw this, i was quite surprised,..the whole roof line was wet through with drips of condensation everywhere, just hanging there.

The Rad haz kits are a super bit of kit, they do stop the annoying drips in places they are unwanted, except..... they collect a trickle of condensate that will run down the screen and into your lap first drive on a cold winter morning.

They also add a bit of sound deadening and warmth. I bought a second set just in case the first goes to bits. The added second use it the bags they come in make excelent work sheets, insert some cardboard sheets 3 or 4 thicknesses and parcel tape closed.

Then you have a padded crawl mat for getting under the truck.

Are you sure it's condensation?  I've had my Tithonus for over a year and used it just about every day and have not had this problem, my original roof did have pinholes over the front cage velcro mounting and this caused drips but since fitting a new Wolf/tithonus hood I've had no problems.  

Pete3000

Yeah, i was wondering about this bit of kit. It does look the bizz , but , i was just wanting some sort of feedback from someone who's tried it.                         

Andicog

Yep,....definitely condensation,    ...Night time temp was  -4. The vehicle had been parked outside for two days and a slight frost was already on the inside roof. The outside of the vehicle was covered in a really heavy frost. About 15 minutes into the drive to my partners and suddenly...drip drip drip. I pulled up, got the torch and there was condensation everywhere.

Cheers guys

Dave.

• 1 month later...