Engine Woes 200tdi

The old girl is feeling poorly.

On driving home from uplifting the suspension for the td5 I noticed that the old tdi was beginning to smoke rather more than usual. It was "normal" for it to have some black smoke when hauling from low down the Rev range but this usually cleared as the boost wound up...however we now have predominantly white smoke with some blue in between. It's idling rough too, almost sounding as if on 3cylinders.

Theres no pressurisation of the coolant hoses and the temp gauge is sitting bang on its usual spot, no mixing of fluids (yet). It got a head gasket a couple of years ago but this showed with the aforementioned symptoms. (Poor heater, erratic temp gauge, hard hoses)

Theres a fair bit of pressure evident on removing the oil filler cap. 

So, initial thoughts are head and/or gasket issues. Since owning it's always had some blue smoke when cold but cleared when up to temp and it's overdue some TLC.

Mulling over a few options;

1) cheap option...whip off head and hope it's the gasket. (Albeit this doesn't solve the startup smoke)

2) disco engines are available...buy/swap over the defender parts then rebuild original 200 at some point

3) buy recon block and head and transfer ancillaries over 

4) send original unit for recon 

Having a spare engine appeals, especially as the pickup is missing one...

thoughts and opinions appreciated guys

I suppose the main consideration is how long you can have her off the road , and does this mean your going to rebuild the pick up you brought for spares :D ? Personally I’d go for the disco engine the rebuild her latter , you’ll then have your spare engine and it’ll be cheaper than taking it to someone to do it for you and you should then be able to solve all the problems.

cheers Ian 

Being off the road isn't too much of a problem, however I'm an impatient sod. I'd much rather drive the 90 than the D5 or the daughters' Adam. Ice doesn't lend itself to using the Blackbird either...

And yes, the pickup isn't being scrapped. Don't tell the wife :ph34r:

Just having a head overhaul really helped my ageing 200 to perk up no end. I've got a disco 200 sat in the yard with a tarp over it, with the intention of stripping it down to rebuild to a plane block for when it would be needed, I'd just swap over the ancillaries etc. After having a whole disco 200 previously installed I wouldn't go back to one now I have a defender set-up, the non standard parts thing drove me insane.

The symptoms do point toward a head gasket failure, if the head wasn’t showing signs of wear then I’d have just taken the gamble on replacing it. 

Having a working replacement will allow me to get this one refurbished at my leisure. Also having a set of spare ancillaries is handy. 

Oh and having my head re-built, I used to get some pretty heavy breathing - oil depositing (small pool) into the neck of the filter box, since the refurb, I don't get any of that. If I was you I'd do a top end overhaul for medium term, then get a spare engine built up ready for long term.

I did consider a re-con head to swap over but I got a whole engine with some new recent parts (turbo/starter/ injection pump) for a fair bit less than a head from turners.

I really want to get cracked on with the td5 as the shed being in a mess does my nut in, the engine swap will be an interim fix.

my bores could have been honed & new standard size pistons fitted [3 of the old pistons had a semi circular hairline crack on the thrust side] Have a very close look at your pistons too, so decided to have the block bored 20thou oversize to remove some dark stained areas & new pistons were fitted. 

14 hours ago, Scotts90 said:

LOL

Oh, we're doing engine codes...one of those crate cummins from the USofA would sit nice but at $9000....

https://cumminsengines.com/repower.aspx

that's not bad price,

16 hours ago, muddy said:

OM606....

you can stick with your carbs & ill stick with my EFI :P