And now for something completely different ...... Engine wanted for the Mrs. 8x8 (ArgoCat)

Arjan

Admin - feel free to remove if need be

The diesel engine in the Mrs. ArgoCat 8x8 died.

Who happens to have ideas - or an engine - to replace it with.

Thanks

Edited by Arjan

I'll have a look to get some pics

Not a lot of room - the original was a V2 and is now a 1 cyl. diesel.

Died after 150 hrs...

Engine needs an inch outputshaft - horizontally - to take the variomatic

" a Koehler argocat engine on eBay " - yes, thanks, I've seen that one and not sure if that is worth the energy...

Not to mention cost.

Don't mind the travelling - but it must be worth it

Honda GX are Honda's generic 4-stroke petrol engines as fitted to everything from generators to lawn-mowers to pressure washers in sizes from 1Hp up to about 25Hp, they're copied by a hundred different manufacturers in China, they've been in production since dinosaurs roamed the earth.

I used to look after a fleet of karts with GX120 / GX160's and they took so much abuse it was unreal, and yet I think we only ever scrapped one engine in many years and that was crashed so hard it split the casing in two. It was still running, just couldn't make the oil stay in!

Two motors removes the need for a diff, which means it can never be broken, and the motors only need to be half the power (each)... not that I've given the idea any thought of course...

Edited by TSD

When we used these at work they had a Briggs and Stratton V twin petrol motor.  They were super frugal and went very well (and those motors last for ever).  Find a wrecked mower or mower wrecker and you'll be running again for peanuts (relatively).

By the way, we used the 6x6 Bigfoot version, sometimes with tracks.  One of my all time favourite vehicles.  Just brilliant.  I used to do whitebait patrol in one ( they're a kind of tiny fish which can only be caught within tight restrictions).  You'd see people across a river flaunting the law and just drive across to see them.  They'd get such a fright!