2.5 TD time to start when cold

Well I got the glow plugs to work... drum roll please... it started up in two revs. Monkie is right. Even if it's sunny and 70F (actually about 65 this evening, brrr), lack of heat from glow plugs delays time to start when cold, even if "cold" is 65F.  At least this is the case for my 19J. Thanks monkie, my battery and starter motor are grateful! 

• Like 2

Most marketing is an exercise in deception, and I have no idea about different diesel types outside of the UK, but I did find pronounced differences with different sources and specs of diesel.  With my Tdis, I found Jet and Texaco to produce gutless and lumpy running.  Tesco was good, BP best, with no discernible difference between the two BP grades in performance or economy, but smoother running with the premium stuff.  With the TDCI, though, there was a distinct difference in fuel consumption, the premium grade being cheaper per mile despite being quite a bit dearer per gallon.   The best thing I can recommend is to try for yourself under as similar conditions (route, load, temperature and driving style) as possible to find what suits your engine best.

I have seen quite a few of Cardogan's videos.  Some of what he says is right, some utter rubbish. so I would never use his videos to make a point.

I have a company car with a fuel card, so the one point not made is that you often get double points on your card using premium fuels :)

I use BP ultimate in my work car but don't notice any significant difference in extra milage from a full tank, maybe I get about 550 miles before the next fill up rather than 520 but that could be a number of things. My car feels a bit more lively but I can't be certain that it isn't just a placebo effect. It does however seem to be quieter particularly from cold and maybe it is keeping the engine clean - but who knows?

Definitely wasn't placebo in my cars - I recorded fuel fill litres and costs for several months on the same commute, but as I said, on the older engines the economy was about the same, only the new engine showed the significant improvement.  Variations in tuning or driving style may even override the fuel effects in the same engine type, hence my recommendation to try for yourself.

• Like 1

That's the problem in my work car: I rarely do the same journey, depending upon how much time I have my driving style changes and I may or may not have equipment in the back so it makes it difficult for me to tell if there is any favourable effect or not. I would put some in my wife's car as she does do the same journey most days but I would be surprised if she actually noticed anything so don't want to waste my money!

On 15/2/2018 at 5:26 AM, SanDiego110 said:

Just wondering how long I should expect to crank the engine before it starts up when it is cold (cold being 70 degrees F OAT). It takes two consecutive 5-second cranks before she starts up. I feel like this is too long, considering the Yanmar diesel on my sailboat takes no more than a second, cold start. Once the engine (Defender, not sailboat) is warm, I can shut it off and restart it with just one second of cranking. Thanks! 

My 2,5 TD starts within one or two rotations of the crankshaft.

That is after a good pre-heating using the glow-plugs, 10 seconds on a lukewarm summers day, 20-30 seconds in freezing winter.