Show me your Camping setups

Jon W

The whole family on our way back from a scout camp in 2012.

med_gallery_4896_298_320959.jpg

Me and my wife in the roof tent, Oldest son in the hammock outside, and the 2 youngest kids inside the car

1311620399_2.jpg

The closest "neighbor"  had a RV-home with boggie, and a tv the size of my windscreen.

Cough back on topic....

A roof tent is great but only if you either move every day or don't mind walking everywhere. As whilst you can put it down each time you want go anywhere A. Its a pain and B. If it's wet you or your gear gets at best damp. 

Ground tents are great as well but again if you move everyday you have the damp issue and you need a tent that packs up quickly.

Mike

If it's just me or we go away last minute then we tend to sleep in the back of the 110, with the bike removed there's space for 2 of us, I am 5'11" and can lie flat / stretch out without hitting the back door. The lockable boxes making the floor have chequer tops so there's some rubber backed carpet door mats on top for insulation and then we on sleep self-inflating camping mats. Plenty of insulation in the roof/side panels keeps it warm and condensation free. Best of all it's pretty subtle and doesn't attract the attention that a roof tent or large camper might do.

For longer trips we tend to take a tent to get a bit more room and you don't have to move all the kit around in the back before sleeping or pack up everything to fetch a pint of milk etc. We use a Quecha XL3 which goes up in a couple of mins and has held up to some awfully strong winds. There's an awning on the side which gives room for cooking / beer drinking in the rain.

Very happy so far with the set-up, compared with a roof tent it's much cheaper and flexible. Overall height of the vehicle remains below 2.2m which a lot of car parks seem to be across Europe.

IMG_4582.thumb.JPG.539ac6fb8f9a21057417aef697aaf489.JPG

IMG_2518.thumb.JPG.20008603150ab5ae3d2c1b576db8b3f7.JPG

• Like 2

On 2/16/2018 at 7:30 PM, Jon W said:

Has anyone tried the air beam ten

Jon 

No pics of set-up because of our age we now use a sleeping trailer with an AIRBEAM awining on each side. Once the awining is about in place it's just a matter of pumping the beams up. How long the beams will last I have no idea but seems a bit easier with very littele lifting to be done

This is my setup with the 88". Okt-17.thumb.jpg.e826799b8656cee6d0c257c3da1f81c0.jpg

I've been fine tuning my setup the past 2 years so that it suites my needs. Within minutes we can have the camp set up, the grill fired up and a beer in hand. This years plan is to make a bike carrier at the rear so that we can carry our bikes and tour Bornholm this summer at DLRK summer meet.  

On 2/20/2018 at 2:20 PM, finnarne said:

Norsk Land Rover Klubb national rally 2018 is in Laerdal, not that far from Geiranger.

l-fb_img_1504552771683.jpg

Picture from testing one of the greenlanes.

Arne, if my ferry tickets weren't booked for the 23rd, I would have been there! Fingers crossed that NLRK gets access to this route again in the near future. 

Borris I really like that setup and would do exactly that in a 110 if I had one, or a Fox wing awning so that when getting in and out the back you can stay dry.

Also Tuko that is a nice setup you have there. Definitely so ideas for me. It look like I maybe ending up with a 90 hard top in place of my series, so I may look at something more permanent for that.... watch this space 

• Like 1

22 hours ago, tuko said:

This is my setup with the 88". Okt-17.thumb.jpg.e826799b8656cee6d0c257c3da1f81c0.jpg

I've been fine tuning my setup the past 2 years so that it suites my needs. Within minutes we can have the camp set up, the grill fired up and a beer in hand. This years plan is to make a bike carrier at the rear so that we can carry our bikes and tour Bornholm this summer at DLRK summer meet.  

This is pretty much what I have for the 110. I’ve got the same roof tent with the additional skirt, but I rarely use that as it’s a real faff to put up. Like you, we can havevthe tent up and ready for sleep in minutes. 

• Like 1