Advice, Body change, notifying etc.

MECCANO

Its been a long time since i've been on here, but i have an itch that needs a scratch.

I'm hoping the guys that have experince of Iva's kit cars etc  can enlighten me.

I understand the points system for radically altered vehicles. But if you preform a body change (in this case putting a series body on a defender chassis without any modications to the chassis) are you still required to submit the vehicle for inspection to check the change is mechanially sound.

Something was mentioned on a kit car forum about an amendment in 2015 which means you can no longer change bodies like this.

Do you think its bogus, or are they right?

I don't hold much hope of an answer from the DVSA. They havent responded before!

Thanks in advance

Chris

Ident belongs to the chassis, vehicles with seperate body like a Series or Defender LR just have to comply with this ---------

Keep a vehicle’s original registration number

A rebuilt vehicle can keep its original registration number if you can prove you’ve used:

• the original unmodified chassis or bodyshell (car or light van) Not appplicable to LR series or defenders
  • a new chassis or monocoque bodyshell of the same specification as the original (car or light van) 
  •  

You must also have 2 other major components from the original vehicle from the following lists.

For cars or light vans:

• suspension (front and back)
  • steering assembly
  • axles (both)
  • transmission
  • engine

Your very unlikely to get tugged with an old body on a newer registration as your not dodging anything by doing this. The other way round however......will be a painful life short but painful. As western says you should just have to notify them but they probably won't be interested anyway. I love the fact they say you must be able to prove but they don't have the Vic to check any more. All the info is on the gov website it takes a bit of reading and cross referencing, and then reading from a seemingly unrelated angle but it's not as bad as it first seems to work out.

Mike 

Personally i think the statement is snake oil, if they are to consider a body change as something inspectable, they would have to change the point system to reflect.

23 hours ago, Gazzar said:

I presume you are talking 109 on a 110 chassis?

Something along those lines. I'm getting to old , fat and soft to drive a series anymore. i find i barely drive the Lwt any more but as it was my first car and ive had since i was 16 '(now 32) i can't brind my self to get rid.

I had planned this, but if things aren't clean cut i will probably cut my losses and just go down the defender route. ( apologies for pic quality, had to bodge them to upload)

lwt1.thumb.jpg.fdca83208e5c564134f8899c34be471a.jpg

lwt2.thumb.jpg.18f896abd4af3dc62859bd238f4df720.jpg

lwt3.thumb.jpg.63ad9d4f254ce89bbc3798b70f8d33b5.jpg

I reckon that project is totally acceptable, both from a legality and looks points of view. If you start with a 110 and just swap the panels and doors (with some selective use of a grinder obviously), you could have that working relatively easily.

Daan 

On 18/02/2018 at 9:38 PM, MECCANO said:

Personally i think the statement is snake oil, if they are to consider a body change as something inspectable, they would have to change the point system to reflect.

Something along those lines. I'm getting to old , fat and soft to drive a series anymore. i find i barely drive the Lwt any more but as it was my first car and ive had since i was 16 '(now 32) i can't brind my self to get rid.

I had planned this, but if things aren't clean cut i will probably cut my losses and just go down the defender route. ( apologies for pic quality, had to bodge them to upload)

lwt1.thumb.jpg.fdca83208e5c564134f8899c34be471a.jpg

lwt2.thumb.jpg.18f896abd4af3dc62859bd238f4df720.jpg

lwt3.thumb.jpg.63ad9d4f254ce89bbc3798b70f8d33b5.jpg

That looks a top idea , very reminiscent of the (dragging through the swamp in my head) one ton gun tractor ? I’ve seen a picture of a prototype anyway ! It was a giant lightweight, if you get what I mean ! 

I'm currently doing similar but with a discovery chassis with defender body making a 100". I've got all body panels mounted without any modifications to the chassis at all. I'm (perhaps stupidly) going to send off the V5 as a body type change to a pick up with pictures and descriptions attached. I'm expecting to be asked to go for some kind of general safety check IIRC that's what @muddy was asked to do when he built the milk float.  

As Tom says when I built a flatbed discovery I took some pictures, wrote a covering letter and sent them off with the V5 with the body style changed to pickup and seats to two.

got a phone call to take it for inspection at a visa test station, nice man checked numbers matched ( I had cleaned these up for extra browny points) took a picture and said thankyou V5 will be in the post. Never even upstrapped it from the trailer.

616B2AF5-C1CE-4E9F-A0F5-DF5C200CB835.thumb.jpeg.482035969beebead229b8a231921a4e3.jpeg