Upgrade to Disco 3 TDV 6

Hercu

Hi Guys

I am a very happy Disco 1 300 TDi  1997 owner BUT:

Old faithful's body and all other systems are now rapidly fading

Very close to 400 000 Km (398 000) and had some Head Gasket problems when I installed a VTDI Turbo with boost up to 1.4 

Fixed that and had wonderful times. Fixed the rust on the Alpine windows/ removed the rear sunroof with rust and sealed. Done the roof lining..etc..etc

Now the A pillars  is completely rotten and water seep through and wet the floorboard..causing a Flintstone's  effect..! ( Brake on the asphalt)

This Disco 3 TDV 6 was offered to me and although the engine is seized the price is unbelievable..Half the price of old disco 1's (Rusted)

On this model there was a factory problem on bearing seizing,,,the bearing cap was rotating on the crank...????

Need true insets...please ..Cost on rebuild of the engine ..Is it worth it ?

Thanks

3 hours ago, Blanco said:

Can't help I'm afraid but really interested to know the answer. ...... I heard that they can't be rebuilt due to the way the main bearings are manufactured, and that's what gives rise to the trade in enginesfrom scrap jags etc.

Blanco Thanks...Yes I believe it is a difficult one....Somewhere saw that a rebuild requires a upgraded crank etc...etc

Rebuild engines quoted at $4500..

I have got the next few days to decide....But at $ 3000 US for the vehicle as is  it could be worth it ..?

Maybe do a Lexus conversion..??

Engines are not rebuildable with new parts.  Anything you see a reconditioned/rebuilt means it has had parts taken from one used engine and put in another.  About the only thing you can buy new aftermarket are bearing shells and these are of untested quality.

Buy a good running second hand engine.

Garry

2 hours ago, garrycol said:

Engines are not rebuildable with new parts.  Anything you see a reconditioned/rebuilt means it has had parts taken from one used engine and put in another.  About the only thing you can buy new aftermarket are bearing shells and these are of untested quality.

Buy a good running second hand engine.

Garry

Garry Thank you...Yes it is the best option.

Problem to get a running used engine...(In South Africa)...They are over prized due to the Rand/Dollar exchange rate.

Can get good used D2 TD5 vehicle for the prize of a TDv 6 engine.

Hercu

I guess that’s why the car you’ve been offered is so cheap - in the balance it probably won’t turn out to be the bargain it looks by the time you’ve replaced the engine.

If you install a different engine what will you have to do to navigate the electronics?

4 hours ago, Anderzander said:

I guess that’s why the car you’ve been offered is so cheap - in the balance it probably won’t turn out to be the bargain it looks by the time you’ve replaced the engine.

If you install a different engine what will you have to do to navigate the electronics?

Anders Yup, I considered that, that at the end I could have bought a running D3 for the price of this non runner and engine replacement...

But at this stage it actually suits me fine because the old Faithful D1 TDi is still running and I can do this engine over time...!

and I save my bank manager of having a heart attack..! (Not mentioning the wife)

Regards

Hercu

Well it can be done with the body on but is a pain to get to hard to get spots - but if you are prepared to take your time and have low stress levels it is doable..

The body is not all that hard to undo but you will need a 2 or 4 post lift to get it up.

Garry

• Thanks 1

19 hours ago, garrycol said:

Well it can be done with the body on but is a pain to get to hard to get spots - but if you are prepared to take your time and have low stress levels it is doable..

The body is not all that hard to undo but you will need a 2 or 4 post lift to get it up.

I knew somebody at the dealership who decided he was going to change a D3 engine without taking the body off, he did and said afterwards that next time he'd take the body off. There might have been some swearing in the previous statement in its original form!

• Thanks 1

Yes exactly but if you don't have the equipment you may not have any choice.  Despite all the advice that it could not be done, on the US Range Rover Sport Forum there is a thread where the owner replaced his petrol V8 in the driveway of his residential house with nothing other that home garage tools - no lifts for the body.  He worked slowly and methodically and was able to get the engine changed in a relatively short period of time - so yes it can be done.

However with a lift, the body is off in a few hours and then is everything around the engine is easily accessible - this really is the preferred way to do it but if you dont have the equipment then work arounds are needed.

Garry

• Thanks 1

Perhaps i should have worded it differently :P, it is possible but I know of 2 people who have done it and both have said they'd take the body off next time or simply not take on the job. 

Not trying to scare anyone off doing one, it's just best to go into it knowing what's involved.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I really appreciate all the replies...And yes..Elbekko the sail seems like a good option   :lol: and the D1 engine came to mind...:unsure:

The body removal was discussed and the luck is that I will have the use of a fully equipped workshop with lifts, air tools etc..

I have quoted the parts and came at the same amount that I will pay for vehicle as is... but still more than half less than the going used price..!(Parts and vehicle)

But...I will still part very difficult with my Disco 1 TDi

You can buy most (but not all) engine parts, from a reputable company...

https://www.turnerengineering.co.uk/27-tdv6-c102x3005712

Rotating shells was a problem, though it seems some failures were due to incorrect oil filter fitting (paper cartridge filter, not a metal canister). Snapped crank seems to be a continuing issue even up to the last of production engines. Me, I offer a silent prayer of thanks every time I turn the key and it doesn't go BANG! :rolleyes:

Edited by TSD
  • Like 1

The other thing about this thread that hasn't been mentioned yet is that the rest of the car will be knackered too. Disco 3's are all rapidly coming to the end of their life.If you take into account the state of the autobox or clutch and flywheel,all the suspension bushes,steering rack/joints,front and rear diff,EAS bags and compressor etc,etc,etc.

Is it really worth bothering ? They are also getting rusty,both body and chassis.Not a car to look at long term with diesel rapidly falling from favour.They were very capable cars when new and lovely to drive,but like a Mk2 Vauxhall Cavalier,(Excellent car of its time) I reckon they will disappear almost overnight.

• Thanks 1

13 hours ago, TSD said:

You can buy most (but not all) engine parts, from a reputable company...

https://www.turnerengineering.co.uk/27-tdv6-c102x3005712

Rotating shells was a problem, though it seems some failures were due to incorrect oil filter fitting (paper cartridge filter, not a metal canister). Snapped crank seems to be a continuing issue even up to the last of production engines. Me, I offer a silent prayer of thanks every time I turn the key and it doesn't go BANG! :rolleyes:

TSD...... Thank you       Yes I have looked at Turner prices and very good...BUT  being in Africa with all the Red Tape and poor exchange rates the Parts might be more than double than the price of an used engine...

Brittpart is fairly strong in South Africa and the quote was not bad....(Crank is very very expensive)

9 hours ago, Ally V8 said:

The other thing about this thread that hasn't been mentioned yet is that the rest of the car will be knackered too. Disco 3's are all rapidly coming to the end of their life.If you take into account the state of the autobox or clutch and flywheel,all the suspension bushes,steering rack/joints,front and rear diff,EAS bags and compressor etc,etc,etc.

Is it really worth bothering ? They are also getting rusty,both body and chassis.Not a car to look at long term with diesel rapidly falling from favour.They were very capable cars when new and lovely to drive,but like a Mk2 Vauxhall Cavalier,(Excellent car of its time) I reckon they will disappear almost overnight.

Alley ..very valued point...From my Disco 1 1997 mod to this 2006 D3 it is a 9 year gain..My Di lasted very well rust wise up to now.

Hope the D3 can give me another 9 years :unsure: ???

Truly the Di TDi was a tractor in comparison with this D3 but easy fixable..!

14 hours ago, Bowie69 said:

I'd want to pull apart the existing engine before committing to anything

Bowie...Yes...Yes..Yes...I seriously would have loved to do that but this vehicle is in another province..the equipped workshop is 400 km away ..I am 300 km away from this vehicle.. I must travel through 2 countries  Mozambique...Swaziland...South Africa fetch (Awaiting papers)..Travel around Swaziland to the workshop ..close to the border...

What a mission...!!:D

10 hours ago, Hercu said:

Brittpart is fairly strong in South Africa and the quote was not bad....(Crank is very very expensive)

Britpart parts don't have a good reputation round here..

...Or to be less diplomatic, they're often shockingly rubbish and certainly a risky prospect on something like an expensive D3 engine. I wouldn't trust them to make mudflaps, let alone supply something critical like a crank shaft.

• Sad 1