Upgrade to Disco 3 TDV 6

Hercu

" I am getting the vibe that everyone has a grudge against these cars, " Daan That's the reason for my initial question " Am I looking for trouble ? Well I have put my head in this bee hive!

TSD  Thank you super informative post...Taken to heart. We Landrover owners clearly understand what the responsibilities are

Garry ,,,No Diesel Territories in South Africa and accident Damaged LR engines are selling for a crazy prize ..Can buy a nice Roadworthy running  TD5 for what they are asking for TDV 2.7 engines.

Looked at the Jag.. engine but thought the twin turbo would be a problem...But yes there is a way out !

Few available  but heavy loaded,,

21 hours ago, Daan said:

I am getting the vibe that everyone has a grudge against these cars, but as always, once you start looking into it, all the problems are solvable.

I reckon you're not far off - look at Escape & elbekko's P38 adventures. Same with the Freelander, which I still reckon is a bargain all-rounder unless you're doing really serious off-roading.

Disco 3's are complex but, unlike a lot of other motors, the info seems to be out there.

A lot of the horror stories are the same thing you used to hear with P38's - something goes wrong, someone takes it to a mechanic who doesn't understand the problem and just randomly changes a £1000 ECU instead of identifying the £5 sensor that's the real issue...

Chatting to the parts guys at Gotts they reckon the biggest problem is people stretch their budget to buy them (to show off) then can't afford to maintain them, so they deteriorate and a lot of expensive problems build up and get more expensive.

• Like 1

A friend of mine has just brought a bargain D4 with a knocking engine. Land Rover wanted 17k to fit a new engine without evening lifting the bonnet. Or 30k for a newer replacement vehicle. Chap brought the new vehicle and my mate went and collected this D4 for an unbelievably low price. 

He is very good mechanically and will happily take anything apart and have a go. He also has the benefit of a workshop and a 2post lift, so took the body off . Stripped engine and it had bent a con rod some how. However new crank, rods and bearing he has it all back together and working nicely! 

So so they are ok if you have the workshop to lift the body off, but a bit of a faff otherwise

• Thanks 1

On 27/02/2018 at 10:56 PM, Daan said:

I am getting the vibe that everyone has a grudge against these cars, but as always, once you start looking into it, all the problems are solvable.

It's just time, and the generalisation that a lot of LR fellas are used to [and expect] a vehicle that is relatively quick and easy to fix. The P38 as Fridge and the Belgian boys say is a great example. The Td5 too, I felt that dismissive thing towards the Td5 for years but people are softening out now that the info has percolated down and is easily available. 

• Like 1

Received the bank release today and the log book (Road worthy and registration) Now at last ready to be collected, 

The workshop is excited and the games can begin now;;; Yes the more I read on this model the more I want to agree that it actually is a Normal Landrover with a bit more bells and whistles ...!

Yes, I got this at an incredible good price and if the parts is as quoted I will have a D3 for quarter of the price of the normal used going rate..! worth to take that risk..and if I am clever the should be monthly payment  saved can make my life with the Discovery 3 a breeze

:i-m_so_happy:

• Like 1

Enjoy the project Hercu! The D3 really is a great car to drive, and for me any car you've rescued or put loads of work into is much more enjoyable than anything you just bought with no hassles.

Forgot to mention in my summary before - if (when)  you have to change brake disks (and if you already have 19" wheels)  - look into spending a little extra and converting to D3-V8 spec. Same calipers and pads, mounted on different brackets, and bigger disks all around. I didn't find the D3 brakes inspired much confidence, the V8 conversion was a huge improvement. I don't doubt the standard brakes are up to the job, this is more about feeling than capability, but I found it well worth the extra cost.

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, TSD said:

Enjoy the project Hercu! The D3 really is a great car to drive, and for me any car you've rescued or put loads of work into is much more enjoyable than anything you just bought with no hassles.

Forgot to mention in my summary before - if (when)  you have to change brake disks (and if you already have 19" wheels)  - look into spending a little extra and converting to D3-V8 spec. Same calipers and pads, mounted on different brackets, and bigger disks all around. I didn't find the D3 brakes inspired much confidence, the V8 conversion was a huge improvement. I don't doubt the standard brakes are up to the job, this is more about feeling than capability, but I found it well worth the extra cost.

Thank you TSD...... Really excited about this project...Will certainly look into the brake conversion...Not yet on 19's but yes, disk's close to the end of their time ..

"and for me any car you've rescued or put loads of work into is much more enjoyable than anything you just bought with no hassles"

So true...That is why I love my Disco 1 TDi !.

Hi ,

good luck with your project I think it comes down to personal preference, for me I have owned a 2002 Series 2 TD5 Discovery for 3 trouble free years and with my knowledge of the Series 3 TDV6 I wouldn’t consider owning one due to the known problems , I feel some people are too worried about the age of their vehicles and will trade up just to get a newer model , I’m the opposite and usually prefer the older tried and tested models , I have two Mercs one 45 years old and one 5 years old and I know which one is best built and my favourite.

your probably in a good position in that you know there is a major problem with the TDV6 and therefore paying a fair price for it , my friend last year upgraded to a TDV6 and it’s cost him a small fortune , air suspension is constantly causing problems and the dash always has warning lights on , my series 2 has just passed yet another MOT during which I got the underside steam cleaned and wax oiled , the engine has covered 117k and is as smooth as the day it was made , yes it’s old looking and now many newer fancier looking models but they are so so expensive and I just couldn’t live with the lack of reliability. 

Will be interesting to hear how you get on and as said previously on here if you can find the right mechanic anything can be repaired .

Good Luck 

• Like 1

Kvz2000...Thank you and I truly agree...My Disco 1 gave me many enjoyable years and mechanical I would not change it for anything..

It is only the Rusty body that concerns me and a D2 Body does not fit on a D1 Chassis..and all the D1's up to 98 models is rusty.. Good body shop can fix it but the cost is almost the same as a very good used TD 5 (Disco 2).

I think The Mechanic is more excited than I am on this project ... and If I am not happy at the end I am sure I will be able to sell it for equal or small profit..!

Will surely keep all updated...

21 hours ago, kvz2000 said:

Hi ,

with my knowledge of the Series 3 TDV6 I wouldn’t consider owning one due to the known problems ,

your probably in a good position in that you know there is a major problem with the TDV6 and therefore paying a fair price for it , my friend last year upgraded to a TDV6 and it’s cost him a small fortune , air suspension is constantly causing problems and the dash always has warning lights on ,

Well I have had my 2007 RRS 2.7 TDV6 for 8 years now and it has been the most reliable vehicle I have owned.  It gets used on road and offroad and other than service items it has not had any issues.

As long as you use good quality lubricants and parts they are easy to maintain and are very reliable.

In the past - I have had 2x Disco 1 V8s from new and the RRS is far more reliable than them.

Garry

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, garrycol said:

Well I have had my 2007 RRS 2.7 TDV6 for 8 years now and it has been the most reliable vehicle I have owned.  It gets used on road and offroad and other than service items it has not had any issues.

As long as you use good quality lubricants and parts they are easy to maintain and are very reliable.

In the past - I have had 2x Disco 1 V8s from new and the RRS is far more reliable than them.

Garry

Garry...Thanks you for the reassurance ...Yes I am going to give it a go...Enjoy the repair process and might be as happy as I am with my D1...and there is a a lot said on D1's and 2's as well..!

Finally The games can begin

Fetched the Disco and drove 2000 Km round trip to collect the vehicle

Pulled on a Frame with front bumper removed, and both prop shafts...Not a walk in  the park ...I can guarantee...

Could not get the suspension to raise...Did not know to bridge relay..so pulled it on flat suspension for 750 Km.

After arrival at workshop and proper internet we got the solution and it raised with a stronger battery.

Seems to be a heat seize due to plastic water distribution Manifold between heads broken ..No water in the oil though or white rim on oil cap...? Mechanic will start to strip heads tomorrow ...

Any do's and dont's will be appreciate

2018-03-10 20.12.00.jpg

2018-03-10 20.11.09.jpg

On 05/03/2018 at 11:19 AM, garrycol said:

I guess that's the problem - if they never go wrong we don't hear about them here. Must be why Defenders are so "popular" :lol:

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

One and Half months later and I am still between walls

The engine is opened and a disaster...all rusted and pistons stuck in the block..Got the injectors out and the Turbo is also rusted

Crank damaged and need to be ground if rebuild myself

Cap.jpg

Crank.jpg

Head.jpg

Injector.jpg

TDV 6 (2).jpg

TDv 6.jpg

Turbo housing.jpg

Posted previous before completion...Continued...

A complete used engine in South Africa  is ZAR R 80 000 €  5095   £ 4613  $ 6430  over 150 000 Km

Remanufactured with OEM parts and line bored ZAR R 58 000 € 3694  £ 3344  $ 4662 1 year guarantee 

Rebuild Subs comes with timing gear where Remanufactured doesn't / all is new oil pump fitted

Not a huge difference in price between Rebuilds and Reman's

Recon is fairly cheaper but the risk is so much higher

Apparently the 2005 and 2006 models is recon/ rebuilded with a fair amount of success

Goods news is that the Injectors was tested and certified fit

Turbo refurbished and certified...Still need to test the VHPF...

But the engineering works are still battling to get pistons out of the block...??

Crikey, what a mess. Has it been stored in a river? That's in a worse state than my 2a engine that sat in a field for twenty years. 

Soak diesel down the bores for a week, then warm the block up by circulating hot water through the cooling channels to get the pistons moving. 

• Thanks 1

Yes a mess but really was anything else expected.  In view of the failure of cranks I would consider getting a new one rather than refurbish what you have .

At least your journey has begun - so good luck and keep us informed.

Garry

• Thanks 1

Lo-fi / Garry

Good advice ..Thank you 

Yes, truly shocking and a "'complete mess" seems to have sea/ salt water in it ???

The crank yes, best to get a new one but a new crank on its own is £ 2020 where a complete Remanufactured sub is £ 3344 , doubt if I can get all the other parts needed for £ 1324

Will definitely need new pistons and rings..maybe conrods...Bearings main and big end, water pump, oil pump..Valves..

Certainly the Reman sub is the best option although the bank manager:rolleyes:

Will keep you informed and updated

7 minutes ago, elbekko said:

Check the rest of the car for water damage before you sink any more money into it.

Elbekko...Rest is fine...actually the vehicle is in a very good condition

This vehicle had the famous Disco 3 TDV 6 water manifold parting syndrome one the most inappropriate time...and in the Natal midlands there is tidal rivers and I think this happened  on the high tide and salty water was collected just to keep going... It eventually seized and was left standing for almost 4 months

And I was the "lucky" one to buy it

• 4 weeks later...

Updated progress report.....and it is a wall....

Quoted "millions" of engineering works, proclaimed engine rebuilders and genuine Land Rover Sub importers....

The painful outcome is whatever road will be taken it is over valuing this vehicle totally......and worst of all it does not lift the resale value by 1 penny...It even brings the value down because the next buyer will not believe that the "new" engine is done to last...To much fly by nights...

I have been warned not to rebuild this engine but rather buy a new Sub...or Long Block...

On current exchange rate a new long block sub is a mighty £6285-00

Short block new Sub..£3885-00

Where to from here? I am not certain yet but for now the project is a bit on ice.....!