OT - Ford engine oil pressure way too high

daveturnbull

So, very off topic, but you are a helpful and knowledgeable bunch. Here goes.

My wife's car is a a Mk2 Focus 1.6 Petrol. On her way to work last wednesday the oil light came on. I told her to get some more oil and sling it in before coming home, which she duly did, then started the car only to find said oil immediately ejected all over to car park. She left the car there and got a lift home. Friday I got a friend with a trailer to recover it back to his workshop where he found the oil filter seal was split. New filter fitted, fresh oil and off we go again. But not for long. Saturday morning she was due to go to work again, started the car then went to defrost the windows, only to spot yet more oil running down the road.

DSC_0058.JPG.3095d2aea58c4d6a6fde8a367dc68f8c.JPG

Later on that day, I dragged it up the drive and onto the ramps only to find that the seal on the oil filter had been pushed out at the top. Now this seal is a 10mm square rubber O ring. Not easily displaced through a 1mm gap between the filter and it's mounting.

DSC_0059.JPG.c53523bb4c613d0e9229f56359992fbc.JPG

So clearly we have a problem of far too much oil pressure going on, and the filter seal is the weakest link, but why?

My thoughts are either a blocked gallery somewhere, or possibly the pressure relief valve in the oil pump is stuck closed? But god knows where or how I would ever start diagnosing either of those is a mystery.

For info, the engine  (1.6 Duratec) still runs nicely and sounds as it should. No holed pistons or knocking big ends.

Any words of wisdom appreciated.

only ever seen that before on a mini, a oil  & filter change had been done the night before but it wasn't noticed the seal ring from the removed filter was still on the oil filter head & the new filter complete with its seal had been fitted, result oil all over the ground & bottom of engine.

Is it just when cold? It's possible the bypass valve in the filter is blocked... more so if you replaced the filter with one of the same make...?

Otherwise yes, oil pressure relief valve, where ever they are on a 1.6 duratec. (I think also, that some Duratecs are just badged up ZETECs, so better to go by engine code/number)

Just to be sure, did the correct oil go in after the low pressure warning? Too thick, particularly when cold, can cause this on an engine designed for thin oil. 

Was it a level or pressure warning that came on during the journey home? 

Definitely sounds like the relief-valve is sticking closed. Can you get a presure-gauge on it?

A few decades back we had this on a batch of diesel Austin Montego vans: over a few days one winter about half a dozen of them burst the oil-filters. At first the fleetmaster put the blame on a batch of non-OEM oil filters workshops had fitted being faulty, until the genuine bought-from-Austin-Rover filters started doing the same. Turns out there was a manufacturing fault and the relief-valve bores had been machined undersize so the plunger wouldn't move. A cold-start followed by 70MPH down the A34 before the oil had warmed was all it took to burst.

Some "dangerous" assumptions going on here, unless you can measure the oil pressure I wouldn't be assuming anything, seal splitting is one thing, but that picture of the new filter, just looks to me like the oil seal hasn't be pre-lubed before tightening and its just grabbed it when the filter was being screwed on. imho of course. :)

Why did you automatically put more oil in when the low pressure light was on? It could've been full of oil and still get a low pressure warning light? Over filling it could've caused a second problem?

I would try put a pressure gauge on it first and try see what's actually happening... and a handbook so you know what the pressures should be. :)

ive seen several instance of this in a mates workshop on fords, its always a stuck pressure relief valve, gunked up by too infrequent oil changes or damaged somehow.

the sometimes also stick open, with obvious results...

Edited by qwakers

I've phoned round a couple of local garages and they all seem to agree with the most likely cause being a stuck closed PRV. To fix that means a new oil pump, which on this engine is an over-the-crankshaft type.

s-l500.jpg

To fit requires taking pretty much the whole engine apart, so is likely to cost around £400 - £500 all in. It's not a job I'd be confident in doing myself, so would need to farm it out.

Regardless, my wife has lost confidence in the car, so it has to go. It's fairly low miles for the age (60k) and apart from this issue in good shape. Do I...

1. Sell it as is, not sure what I'd get.

2. Get it fixed and sell it privately for £1500

3. Sling in some really thin oil, wait for a warm day and drive it to the local webuyanycar (they valued at £1100 on t'internet)

^^^^^ You've nothing to lose & that's worth a try.

I'd drain, refit the oil filter so the seal is back in position & refill with the same oil plus a can of Forte Engine flush & let it sit & idle on the drive for an hour - in your case with something under to catch any oil being ejected - or so before draining & refilling

Be aware that several Ford engines of this generation can have 'issues' re-priming the oil pump if they're left to drain-down for too long.

[similar to the antique Rover-V8 ~~~need to pack the oil-pump with vaseline to get it to suck at first-startup~~~ thing]

If you want to try to unstick a stuck relief-valve I'd be more inclined to drain out whatever oil's in there now, then refill with a 50:50 mix of cheap 5W-30 or 0W-30 and ATF.

ATF is rich in detergents and is good at clearing carbon/gum from neglected engines. Let it idle for an hour or so, then take it for an "Italian Tune-Up" - a blast down the local motorway/dual-carriageway, using full-throttle acceleration through the gears revving until the rev-limiter cuts in.

Then drain/refill and fit a new filter with the 'thinnest' oil that's specified for the engine - 5W30 is what I've used in loads of Fords this century.

Edited by Tanuki

2 hours ago, Tanuki said:

Be aware that several Ford engines of this generation can have 'issues' re-priming the oil pump if they're left to drain-down for too long.

[similar to the antique Rover-V8 ~~~need to pack the oil-pump with vaseline to get it to suck at first-startup~~~ thing]

Ah yes, good point!

Well I stuck the flushing oil in it today and left it to idle for about an hour whilst I did a few other jobs outside. That seemed to stay on the inside so I took it for the world's slowest Italian tune up (Bournemouth Friday afternoon traffic) over the euro car parts to get some more oil and a filter. Drained the flushing oil which was about as thick as water, cleaned the grit out of the sump threads (good sign?) and refilled with real oil. 

I'll wait for a cold morning, plenty of those coming up, and start it with a bucket underneath and see what happens. 

Well I went out this morning, put a bucket underneath and fired it up. The oil seemed quite happy to stay on the inside, so that's progress. Temp gauge said it a 0 degrees outside. 

Fingers crossed it plays nicely tomorrow too, as the wife has stolen my car and I really don't fancy cycling to work this week in the freezing cold and snow.