Steering box leak 1989 110 2.5td

Steering box leaks pretty bad. My options are to rebuild it or buy a refurbished one. Is it worth trying to rebuild or should I spend the extra money to get a refurbished unit? From what I have read on this forum, this steering box is notorious for leaking, even after it is rebuilt or replaced. 

I can agree with both options! Rebuilt my first box, the seal kit was only £20 so not expensive but the main shaft was badly pitted so a new seal didn't last long. Bought a refurbished model that lasted a few months before starting to weep...nothing major but eventually turned into a small puddle over night. In contrast my td5 steering box has 250k on it and is bone dry (yes there's fluid in it :P), I actually swapped this onto the tdi as its the daily driver. 

I have a seal kit to try on the refurbished box but if the shaft is worn then it's a pointless excersise.

I've seen the odd brand new one up for sale but most are upwards of £500

I once bought a recon box through Paddocks from memory (but don't quote me on that) and I doubt I will be repeating the exercise. It was horribly adjusted and full of blasting media, or sand, either way it felt gritty when things were moving. Yes the coat of black paint was very shiny but the box itself was a piece of junk that went straight back. I subsequently replaced the seals on my existing box and it is still there 15 years later. 15 years which included trips to the Sahara, immersions in rivers and the usual daily grind