2.5 N/A Snorkel Hybrid

Cchase

Not wanting to hijack 14Platoon's thread, here is my somewhat Frankensteined snorkel for my 2.5 N/A.

I could not find a kit dedicated to my engine so I began with the cheapest kit from Paddock's (PM714) and then used 2" PVC piping and connectors to join it all together. I still have to waterproof where the two halves of the air filter holder join and the bottom of the air filter holder where there are some holes. Any advice here would be appreciated.

I ended up not using the flex pipe in the bottom of the first picture...and some of the PVC elbows.

My truck is LHD, but I don't really see the down tube on the A pillar nearly as much as I thought I would.

I am a visual learner so I am posting a lot of pictures.

Cheers,

Colin

DSCN4781.jpg.f1fe16b60777bc4dbd3873ae3cc5aea0.jpg

DSCN4791.JPG

I used all of the bits in the snorkel kit from the top-hat down to the flex hose. 

I used a straight 2" joiner piece to make the pipe diameter match the flex hose. 

The plastic hose clamps supplied with the snorkel kit were not great so I substituted a couple of stainless steel hose clamps to join the two ends of the flex hose. I think you lot call them jubilee clips?!

DSCN4782.jpg

DSCN4783.jpg

DSCN4784.jpg

DSCN4792.jpg

DSCN4798.jpg

I attached the Main snorkel pipe to the A-pillar after drilling and tapping holes. The kit comes with nuts and bolts to drill through the a-pillar, but there is not much room in there to try and place a nut. It seems to be solid enough this way.

SS bolts were used with thread lock. Hopefully the oxidation between the metals will be slow...

The pipe and top hat are metal and I had to spray a bit of rust paint on the inside to cover up some places where the powder coating missed.

DSCN4785.jpg

DSCN4786.jpg

DSCN4787.jpg

DSCN4788.jpg

DSCN4789.jpg

DSCN4790.jpg

Now the bodging begins!

As the truck is LHD, the pipe can enter the engine compartment through the blanking plate on the wing. I had to modify this hole a couple of times as this project went along to get the right angles and pipe lengths. I didn't glue the PVC pipe until all was fitted. I will take some split rubber hose to fill in the space around the pipe where it goes through the hole in the wing. This will keep out snow, water, leaves a bit better.

The grey hose clamp will get painted black and screwed to the wing to hold the horizontal piece of pipe in place when it is all together.

DSCN4793.jpg

DSCN4794.jpg

DSCN4796.jpg

DSCN4797.jpg

DSCN4799.jpg

The really fussy part was to figure out how to connect the end of the snorkel pipe with the air filter canister. Thank God for plumbing stores! 

I found a rubber 2" to 3" coupling that fit the canister.

Because the end of the canister is conical, I added some screws to the canister air in hole so that the rubber coupling could get some purchase. It will hold as a friction fit without the screws, but not tightly enough.

There is also a 2" to 2" rubber joint in the pipe so I have a couple of ways to get the snorkel apart once I have glued all of the pipe and joiners together.

DSCN4803.jpg

DSCN4805.jpg

DSCN4834.jpg

DSCN4835.jpg

Great use of Jubilee clips !! 😛 a rubber grommet in the canister drain hole with silicone? I guess you just need to check the air filter more frequently. 

Great read sitting here with a Cuppa as work time approaches. Thanks for that ! 😊👍