Repairing Birmabright panels

L19MUD

The A is for aluminium , so 0.8A tip is for 0.8mm Al wire. In an ideal world you should use half round groove drive wheels in the wire feed to stop the wire section deforming - steel wire drive wheels are vee grooved . If the drive tension is backed off , which you should do anyway the steel wheels will do ok . To test the drive tension drive the wire from the torch to an unearthed solid surface at 90deg to the torch about 50mm away the drive wheels should slip and not birds nest the wire around the torch lead entry .  

When welding try and keep the torch lead in as straight a run as possible .

I think you will be pleasantly surprised at your results

Steve

Not at all , it's the flexible guide that carries the wire from the wire drive wheel(s) up the torch lead to the tip . For steel wire it's a steel spiral wound tube a bit like a net curtain cord , so I'm told :) although some of the smaller 130 a welding plant units with a non-euro torch do come with a plastic liner

cheers

Steve b

Edited by steve b

I just drilled a 0.8 tip out to 1mm rather than ordering new.

i can’t reinforce what was said about th roller tension enough. This is vital.

you will need you wire feed speed as well as your gas flow turned up significantly above where you would normally run them for welding steel.

1 hour ago, tacr2man said:

You can gas weld Birmabright easier than normal aluminium  , it even used to have a section in the old landrover manuals telling you how to go about it , and telling you of the requirement to anneal after panel beating to prevent cracking IIRC

would love to see a copy of that section given the bodywork repairs I have got to do!

• Like 1

Would love to see that too !

For my 1963 IIa I've got an original 1st edition workshop manual, no word about welding body panels in there. I've also got the original owners manual, no word about welding either. But it is not a big problem as if there would be anything about welding it would be the oxygen acetylene proces. With the popularity and quality of TIG nowadays I would be very reluctant to handle the flaming torch for welding.

Annealling (softening) Birmabright is a nice way to use the oxy acetylene torch. Cover the panelarea to be annealed with soot from a too rich burning torch (yellow to orange flame). Adjust the torch to a blue flame, heat the panel until the soot burns off. Let the panel cool in still air. It is now annealled.

OK I tried.... Ordered all the bits and got the MIG set up. After a couple of issues with getting the wire through I managed this at different power settings and different wire speeds. What am I doing wrong? 

DSC_0265.thumb.JPG.8644bdeca8467df7bb930da35e63fca7.JPG

Yes, I expect the best plan would be to weld on, grind off, and console yourself that you've saved £800 by not buying an ACDC tig set.

G.

• 3 months later...

Hello  guys,

I am about to paint the interior of the Defender and there is a large hole (pic attached).

I can close the small hole with a rivet (and placing some PU seal around it to avoid water passing through since we don't have here water tight rivets) but I am thinking of a creative solution for the bigger hole since over here in Ghana can't find someone who can weld ALU.

This is in the back cabin that I am camperising, so I will be placing insulating material over the panel once it's fixed - so it doesn't have to look pretty but it does need to avoid water from passing through.

Thanks!!

IMG_20180623_181050.jpg

Edited by Wheely

Clean behind, underneath, fold up some thick ally, glue underneath with Tiger seal, or other pu adhesive.

Fill the top,  spray. Job done.

Actually, I'd stick quite a long piece of angle section ally under that, certainly fill between the support ribs, it would be a strong repair.

nice! thanks @Gazzar so no need of rivets but PU seal would be sufficient. Shall I put a gasket as well between the panel and the patch?

I can access the spot from the exterior of the vehicle, clean, apply patch with PU seal, and on the inside I just put filler and then spray - sounds like a deal?

No need for a gasket, if you were using aluminium(in fact it's a bad idea). If you use steel, you have to.

Make sure you key both surfaces, coarse sand paper to ensure the pu can grab the bare Ali.

G.