Chang of engine on v5

dangerous doug

Sending the v5 off and am not sure what to include. The website is very clear on what they want but I have very little of what they want. evedence from a garage who carried out the work isn’t possible neither is a letter from the manufacturer.

i know of people who have just sent off the v5 with new details and that was it and I know people who have sent off cover letters, photos and receipts. But doing that may lead to them asking questions and wanting more so is it best to keep it vague or photos and a letter aswell as a receipt

Can people share their experiences? Anyone ever had their v5 sent back asking for more info?

I’ve just sent mine off - I sent the receipt, a photograph of the new engine number, and a covering letter. See what happens !

last time I changed an engine was before they introduced these and I just amended the V5 and got it sent back - I would expect those days are gone though now ..?

I have a CSW which is fitted with 16 seats. It all happened when I came back from the USA with the truck, having been out there for a couple of years. Because I had not intended to return the truck was classed as a permanent export. The DVLA generated a new V5 for the truck and showed it as having 16 seats.

When I sent the V5 back and pointed out the error, the DVLA kept the V5 and sent me a massive questionnaire asking when I had rebuilt the vehicle, wanting photos of the vehicle before, during and after the work. I wrote back pointing out that the vehicle had not been rebuilt, or worked on but that there had been a mistake on the V5. I got another copy of the same letter and still no V5. So I sent photos to show that the truck only has 5 seats, showed the reg No, the seats from the front, the middle and the back. Got a new V5 which now showed that I have a 16 seat CSW. Gave up, pointed out the error to the insurance company and told them of the experience dealing with the DVLA. They seemed quite happy to accept that the vehicle only has 5 seats fitted.

Edited by neil110

4 minutes ago, Anderzander said:

Lol - I have a motorbike made in 1968 - that they insist was made in 1958. When told they’d made a mistake they replied : we don’t make mistakes .. 

No, they would have to be human for that! Lol

thanks for the reply’s. Going through google and various forums suggests it’s a pick of the draw. Hopefully someone who really DGAF opens the letter and just prosesses it as I have included everything I can do if they want more I’m in trouble.

There's a section on the v5 to include changes, I always only complete that part and send it off.  I've never had a change queried but I know they do sometimes ask for a receipt for the engine.

In my experience, if you give dvla too much documentation it sets them off thinking you're asking something bigger of them and they go into process hyperdrive - mostly because its easier to get what looks like a complicated job off thier desk by just returning it to you with a request for more info.. 

When I went from a 1000cc to a 1600cc on my SJ they asked for an engineers report. I got a friendly mechanic to do me a letter on letter headed paper stating the reg, chassis number and engine number. I don't remember have problems on my Range Rover so they must have just accepted it?

On 2/21/2018 at 9:42 PM, neil110 said:

I have a CSW which is fitted with 16 seats. It all happened when I came back from the USA with the truck, having been out there for a couple of years. Because I had not intended to return the truck was classed as a permanent export. The DVLA generated a new V5 for the truck and showed it as having 16 seats.

When I sent the V5 back and pointed out the error, the DVLA kept the V5 and sent me a massive questionnaire asking when I had rebuilt the vehicle, wanting photos of the vehicle before, during and after the work. I wrote back pointing out that the vehicle had not been rebuilt, or worked on but that there had been a mistake on the V5. I got another copy of the same letter and still no V5. So I sent photos to show that the truck only has 5 seats, showed the reg No, the seats from the front, the middle and the back. Got a new V5 which now showed that I have a 16 seat CSW. Gave up, pointed out the error to the insurance company and told them of the experience dealing with the DVLA. They seemed quite happy to accept that the vehicle only has 5 seats fitted.

Maybe you should have told them there never was a station wagon with 16  seats max was 12  if you had 16 seats in there no one would be able to get in . :)

I went through a similar process a few years ago.

DVLA sent the V5 back requiring evidence such as that mentioned above. I called them to check what they would accept as I hadn't paid a garage to change the engine. 

In the end a local garage provide a letter stating the engine number, CC and fuel type that was fitted and DVLA was happy.

However, that didn't stop several rounds of me going back to DVLA saying that they had changed the engine number but not the fuel and CC, then fuel and CC not not engine number, then.....

I got there in the end. 

8 hours ago, Anderzander said:

My details are still the same online at the moment.

After I sent it off with the engine receipt etc I read that vehicles in the historic class don’t need to ... it was something the FBHVC helped bring in.

Just out of interest, can you remember where you read that? 

Hi all.

I'm taking a V8 engine from my 2003 Disco (which is SORN now, but will be broken) and putting into a 2001 Td5 Defender. I'm reading this thread with interest in conjunction with this link: 

https://www.gov.uk/change-vehicle-details-registration-certificate/what-evidence-to-give

I am wondering whether the original engine build sheet from RPI (from 8 years ago) will be enough evidence that I own the engine. I could always get my local garage to examine the vehicle and provide a letter to say that the engine is in the truck. 

I read somewhere on here that it might get a lot harder to do engine swaps as the emissions will have to be to the current standard - not age related. A different topic I know, but does anyone have more information on that? 

regards

Ian

9 hours ago, Powerslave said:

Hi all.

I'm taking a V8 engine from my 2003 Disco (which is SORN now, but will be broken) and putting into a 2001 Td5 Defender. I'm reading this thread with interest in conjunction with this link: 

https://www.gov.uk/change-vehicle-details-registration-certificate/what-evidence-to-give

I am wondering whether the original engine build sheet from RPI (from 8 years ago) will be enough evidence that I own the engine. I could always get my local garage to examine the vehicle and provide a letter to say that the engine is in the truck. 

I read somewhere on here that it might get a lot harder to do engine swaps as the emissions will have to be to the current standard - not age related. A different topic I know, but does anyone have more information on that? 

regards

Ian

I thought if you just changed the engine but not much else you were ok.

Update

although I hadn’t received word from the dvla yet I decided to do a vehicle check on their site....

AAC7EC1E-4EEC-4898-83DE-765408A47578.thumb.jpeg.0e61ebadf30262ffbf2dc8f156683b81.jpeg

looks like its all gone ahead ok! I enclosed a receipt for engine purchase, photos of corisponding engine number, photos of the engine in the truck and a cover letter explaining what had been done which included terms like “new genuine parts” and “factory defender parts”

happy days!

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Just got mine back with the new engine details - between 4 and 5 weeks it took.

A cautionary tale though - I know of someone who’s just had a nut and bolt restoration of a V8 90, huge amount of money spent on it. He told DVLA that he’d also converted it to soft top and they’ve taken the VIN off him.