Rear chassis cross member replacement - from where?

I thought the rear wings were a bit rough, but having removed my fuel tank guard this morning I can see that the whole rear of the chassis is what you might term 'wobbly' and a little broken along the bottom.
I'm keen to replace it sometime soon, but interested to know of any recommendations for where to buy it from taking into account I'm after the best quality available.
Suggestions welcome, plus any buying advice welcomed.
I will get it shipped to Portugal and a local indie landy person fit it, but they are often self taught so any guidance welcomed as well.

TIA ;)

To be honest if you found a good fabricator they might do a better job than an off the shelf unit shipped in from the UK.

Plenty of superb scratch built examples on here.

2,5mm blms (black mild steel) is cheap by the sheet.

I know these guys used do international postage, no idea if it's quality or rubbish, mind.

http://www.paddockspares.com/lr512-rear-x-member-with-extentions-110-to-wa159806-1-galvanised.html

I have a Dixon fab one. really good price, little tricky to fit but 6mm construction and everything is properly lasercut and bent. The only thing is the lead time.... unless he has them in stock there will be a bit of a wait. I waited 2 months for mine when he was busy

717E90A8-24A3-4D7A-9C8B-84D7EA04501F.thumb.jpeg.f7b47ba9bd5af292c213a31f9afac908.jpeg

I've also got one of the heavy duty Dixon Fabrication one's waiting to fit. I bought it with the separate chassis extensions, which pivot via a bolt through the back of the cross member to allow correct alignment.

Colin

Edited by reedx

• 5 months later...

Thanks for all of the suggestions above. Dixon's seems like the best option from those listed, at least your dealing with the manufacturer etc.

I then need to get it fitted.... my usual Landy people in Portugal and the UK shy away from this job (they are more mechanical and see this as messy, difficult, fuel tank normally has a few issues after you put it back in etc etc).
So can anybody recommend a quality workshop that could do this with me? (I'm heading back to the UK for work for a week anyway, so no great drama to drive up etc)

I believe Blacksheep no longer do them...…………. not sure though. They had a lot of hassle with Land Rover owners. 

If they DO still do them, they will do it while you wait, and wait...…………..it takes a while !

Clive, the guy who does the welding, is superb.

I put a Hi-Lift through my rear cross member a few years ago and got in touch with Clive at Blacksheep. Regardless of his skills he was quite frankly downright rude in his response to my enquiry - stating that he didn't do them any more.

I ended up speaking to a friend who runs a trailer fabrication company (CLH Trailers) and one of their guys built a custom 'C' section one up to my specification. Main stuff was 6mm thick with then another 6mm plate behind the tow bar area, the welding was as always superb. Chris has commented he didn't think they could get their press brake into the corner to do the tapered bit (it's a BIG press brake) so they might have to come up with another approach for that. When I popped down to check it before they welded it on I reminded him of the comment because it looked like he'd managed to squeeze it in. I didn't believe him when he said that it wasn't bent - it was welded. Honestly you can't tell, I've challenged a few people and unanimously they reckon it's been bent not welded.

One benefit of going custom is I did away with all the holes in the normal cross members and just drilled the ones I needed, not mentioning the fact that it's much easier to clean out. All in (I dropped the fuel tank and made sure all bolts would come loose) from me dropping off the 110 to them making measurements, cutting, bending and welding, cutting off the old one and welding in the new one took 1.5 days.

• 2 months later...
On 8/18/2018 at 2:33 PM, roamingyak said:

Thanks for all of the suggestions above. Dixon's seems like the best option from those listed, at least your dealing with the manufacturer etc.

Hi Roamingyak,

Did you settle for Dixons, how did it fit, was the courier service ok.  Any general comments, as I too will need to replace this cross member and for it to be delivered via courier.

On 10/26/2018 at 6:08 PM, Paddy said:

Hi Roamingyak,

Did you settle for Dixons, how did it fit, was the courier service ok.  Any general comments, as I too will need to replace this cross member and for it to be delivered via courier.

Hi mate, no progress on this for me yet... hoping to do in in December...

hey, a quick question here, is Dixon Fabrication still fabricating/online?

Tried to call = no answer, email = no answer, the facebook page is offline and the ebay store is empty

Wanted to know if they would ship to Germany too but no any response....

Any other good suggestion including the long extensions? Anyone an idea if someone is selling the single Dixon extension singly? 

cross.jpg

I spoke with one of my previous Landy fixer uppers and they said they get theirs from:
http://www.ddsmetal.co.uk/about/
Anybody know much about their product quality?

Recommendation was to get a galvanised one as normal steel is often gone again after 5-7 years (they are now replacing ones they originally fitted that time frame ago).

27 minutes ago, roamingyak said:

I spoke with one of my previous Landy fixer uppers and they said they get theirs from:
http://www.ddsmetal.co.uk/about/
Anybody know much about their product quality?

Recommendation was to get a galvanised one as normal steel is often gone again after 5-7 years (they are now replacing ones they originally fitted that time frame ago).

Yep, go for it. I have just used one of their DII  1/4 Chassis Galvanised units. Very good fit and finish. I've been using their Defender ones for several years with no problem. The last ones that I had from Britpart and the like were awful...