Rear chassis cross member replacement - from where?

1 hour ago, Mike110DT said:

Thanks Paddy....

Tried again a few times this morning and they confiirmed that no overseas supply 😞

how much was it approx for the DDS stuff? They look great

Emailed them for a price,  just picked an item, (which might not be the best for me,) just to get an idea,

""We can export to Ireland. 

The cost of the LR511G would be £130.00 (+ VAT if you don’t have an IE VAT no). 

The shipping to Ireland would be in the region of £22.00.""

• 3 weeks later...

quick update here as I failed German MOT..... was then travelling for 2 weeks and gave it now for repairs during these 2 weeks

What they have done and I saw it this morning, they have cut the full length of the crossmember until shockabsorbers and rebuild it on their own. Got new MOT now

Looks really good and didn't costs as expected! 1000€ in TTL

Pictures will follow

• 1 month later...
On ‎8‎/‎24‎/‎2018 at 12:07 AM, Ed Poore said:

I put a Hi-Lift through my rear cross member a few years ago and got in touch with Clive at Blacksheep. Regardless of his skills he was quite frankly downright rude in his response to my enquiry - stating that he didn't do them any more.

I ended up speaking to a friend who runs a trailer fabrication company (CLH Trailers) and one of their guys built a custom 'C' section one up to my specification. Main stuff was 6mm thick with then another 6mm plate behind the tow bar area, the welding was as always superb. Chris has commented he didn't think they could get their press brake into the corner to do the tapered bit (it's a BIG press brake) so they might have to come up with another approach for that. When I popped down to check it before they welded it on I reminded him of the comment because it looked like he'd managed to squeeze it in. I didn't believe him when he said that it wasn't bent - it was welded. Honestly you can't tell, I've challenged a few people and unanimously they reckon it's been bent not welded.

One benefit of going custom is I did away with all the holes in the normal cross members and just drilled the ones I needed, not mentioning the fact that it's much easier to clean out. All in (I dropped the fuel tank and made sure all bolts would come loose) from me dropping off the 110 to them making measurements, cutting, bending and welding, cutting off the old one and welding in the new one took 1.5 days.

Rude or tired of it all?

1 hour ago, longlandy said:

Rude or tired of it all?

He may have been tired of it all (and I understood he was fed up of the Land Rover scene) but I asked a few genuine questions about whether he still made them / lead times / pricing / availability and had a rather curt and inappropriate response for those questions.

Hence why I resorted to building a custom one of a similar design.

• 2 weeks later...

I assume he didn't apologise for the inconvenience his ill health caused you. Hes my cousin and he showed me the messages he got, even some one being rude because their britpart x member was poor quality and 'your the one that makes the so what you going to do about it'

14 minutes ago, longlandy said:

I assume he didn't apologise for the inconvenience his ill health caused you. Hes my cousin and he showed me the messages he got, even some one being rude because their britpart x member was poor quality and 'your the one that makes the so what you going to do about it'

He didn't but then I wouldn't expect it. I made a genuine (and I thought pleasantly worded) enquiry asking whether a cross member was available and, as at the time I couldn't weld, if he didn't want to mount it (I had read forums) would he recommended somewhere that could (might as well go with a recommendation from the chap who builds them).

Fair enough the response took a while, "one man band" type affairs quite often do. But the reply I had wasn't particularly courteous and left me with a sour taste in my mouth.

Can we please drop this now. I gather based off mig-welding he might have some more available and I wish him the best with it but I went another way and been more than pleased with the result.

• 4 weeks later...

I took an interest in this thread knowing I needed to replace the rear x member.  So an update in case it helps other searchers.
I ordered a heave duty galvanised one with extensions from DDSmetal.  Ordered on a Tuesday and arrived at my home in Ireland on the Thursday. I’m not an expert or rivet counter but I thought it was good quality and finish. Neither am I up to this kind of welding, so took it to a fabrication shop. I picked her up today and well pleased with the end result.  The welder didn’t have any problems with the fitting, everything lined up.  Just a bit of faffing with cutting the chassis at the right point to fit the extension. 

• Like 2

I had the same issue with a 1984 110.  I looked the replace the rear half but found I would be welding good metal to something as solid as cheese so I gave that up and sought a replacement whole chassis from a breakers yard (there are "challenges" with this approach I know), but my unit was superb and unblemished for £600, few minor mods like new engine mounts and jobs a good 'un.  I'm still fighting with the full ground up rebuild but I know I have a very stable chassis now.