How lardy?

geoffbeaumont

Not out but in :ph34r: .

200tdi and ZF auto. No t - box.

You will need to have a big engine crane with good height and reach. You will also need to take the fron wheels off and put it down on the discs to get it as low as possible. (Unless you have a really big crane)

Hmm, crane would be whatever I could hire, so I wouldn't have much control over that :huh:

Sound like option B is the winner - cut a hole in the transmission tunnel (the problem I'm trying to solve here, incidentally, is a siezed bell housing bolt. Top one, so not enough access to deal with it).

Hello, newbie here, just reading through all the posts. I have had similair heartache trying to remove engine gearbox as one assembly on a V8 3 door disco. In the end I cut the top slam panel out where the bonnet catch lives. It didnt take much to make up two plates to use to refit the panel afterwards. I did this as the engine is frequently in and out of this particular vehicle, so you may not wish to go to those lengths I guess, but it is a useful mod if you are often messing about with big lumps of petrolly dieselly stuff.

Hello, newbie here, just reading through all the posts. I have had similair heartache trying to remove engine gearbox as one assembly on a V8 3 door disco. In the end I cut the top slam panel out where the bonnet catch lives. It didnt take much to make up two plates to use to refit the panel afterwards. I did this as the engine is frequently in and out of this particular vehicle, so you may not wish to go to those lengths I guess, but it is a useful mod if you are often messing about with big lumps of petrolly dieselly stuff.

Hmm...if I've got to hack bits of bodywork either way I'm definitely going the hole in the transmission tunnel route :huh:

Hmm...if I've got to hack bits of bodywork either way I'm definitely going the hole in the transmission tunnel route :huh:

Do you actually want the gearbox out or is it solely because of the stuck bolt? If you remove the gearbox crossmember, support the box on a jack then undo its mounts you can GENTLY and slowly lower it a bit, you might be able to get to the offending item then? On the other hand it takes 5 mins to drill a hole and grommets are pennies - you could even fit a bath plug in incase one of your door seals springs a leak..... :o By the way, when I mentioned hacking the body to bits at the bonnet catch I meant at the front of the vehicle, not chopping flipping great 3 foot lumps out of the bulkhead just in case you think I am completely mad. Although it might be an interesting mod to do something like the early rangies had with the bolt in transtunnel/floor assembly...

Do you actually want the gearbox out or is it solely because of the stuck bolt? If you remove the gearbox crossmember, support the box on a jack then undo its mounts you can GENTLY and slowly lower it a bit, you might be able to get to the offending item then? On the other hand it takes 5 mins to drill a hole and grommets are pennies - you could even fit a bath plug in incase one of your door seals springs a leak..... :o

I want the gearbox out but not the engine. The catch with the hole in the floor option is that while it takes only a few minutes to cut the hole (think it'll need to be a bit bigger than just a drill job - the bolt is more or less parallel with the floor) the dash and heater assembly need to come out first...