Invisible Defender

Simon Smith

Well seeing as this seems to be spearing off on a tangent, my peeve is with not noticing...not jumping foolishly on the brakes and creating more mayhem. If I can notice an emergency vehicle approaching from behind and the oncoming vehicles are also pulling in to allow a passage through busy traffic then why can't the thwack behind me not see it?? Or at the very least wonder as to why all the other cars seem to be pulling in? Living in a wee metal bubble of their own...

For example, heading down the A77 to Girvan today. I saw the oncoming ambulance about half a mile away and suitably slowed although he was not in my lane or direction of traffic this allowing a suitable opportunity if the ambulance was to overtake However the vehicle holding the ambulance from making safe and rapid progress was completely oblivious to what was behind him...even the ambulance driver acknowledged with a shrug and a wave as he passed. The ambulance was still stuck behind the same vehicle as they cleared my rear view. This on a stretch with average speed cameras so it's not as if the vehicle causing the hold up was making rapid progress too...

Forward observation is very poor, even in towns just allowing room for an artic to carry out a manoeuvre seems alien to most of the driving population. 

^^^ this is very common !

As is the next but one car in front seeing us and pulling over safely and the car behind pulling out into our path to go round him without checking his mirror first and seeing us! 

There's good observant drivers out there and there are some deplorable drivers out there.

I suppose it takes all sorts. 

Mo

3 hours ago, Mo Murphy said:

There's good observant drivers out there and there are some deplorable drivers out there.

I suppose it takes all sorts. 

Mo

Exactly.  There are good and bad in every activity.  But it's all relative.  As bad as many drivers (and bikers, cyclists and so on) are, the level of stupidity, aggression and ineptitude is as nothing compared to what is normal in almost all of Asia, Africa and the Middle East.  I find it almost blissful to drive in the UK when I get back there now.