Diesel fuel waxing / gelling

Down here in N. Kent, its bitterely cold, and I struggled back home today. Wallace (300tdi) was  a bit sluggish going in at 9.30 am, but the wind picked up a lot, and on way home I had fuel starvation issues, Had to limp home, 2nd gear up some hills. Got home and added some 2 stroke oil, and about 1 ltr of petrol, (almost full tank of Dino)  That sorted it, once it had mixed and filtered thro.'  Must have been the wind chill cooling off the Sainsbury's fuel a bit too much

Edited by Yostumpy

Many years ago I was working for a recovery company, and the Boss used to make us put a gallon of petrol in with every 20 gallons of diesel.... I never really thought much of it until we had a very sudden cold snap (-22 wind chill and 8" of snow) every diesel in north london waxed up, except ours! We were the only recovery company running diesels, even the AA had waxing troubles! That was a very busy week!!

Normally the oil companies add anti freeze to their winter fuel, so they can get it out of the ground and into your tank, so this sort of thing doesn't happen very often.. But every now and then it just gets that little bit too cold!

despite the petrol, it did it again today, only worse, so got home and changed the fuel filter, and I think that cured it. partially blocked,  plus thicker fuel,=  fuel starvation. It had lots of small black bits around  the top. Must get some  more now, t'was my last one.

3 hours ago, Mutley said:

Which Fuel filter are you recommending, Genuine or are others any good?

Never try to recommend anything or anyone, it'll bite you on the ars#.

BUT as I tend to use veg oil blend a lot of the time,( unless its too cold), then I USE  Mahle KC 38,  about £4-5, supposed to be better for veggy fuels. Still clog up tho.  

So do you have what we would call "alpine fuel" as standard fuel during the cooler months to prevent waxing. Temps where I live in winter are similar to most of the UK (not Beast from the East though) and all of our service stations convert to "alpine fuel from mid autumn to mid spring.

Garry

I studied Industrial Chemisty at University to post graduate level - this is what I remember about fuels:

In winter months in alot, if not all European countries including the UK; additives are blended into road diesel fuel to reduce the cloud point but maintain the amount of energy per litre of fuel. In North America and other places I believe that diesel fuel is "thinned" with kerosine, this does lower the amount of energy per litre of fuel. Adding petrol as suggested above will also do this.

In the UK this winterised fuel with anti-waxing additives is generally sold between November and March. It is not advertised by any supplier as far as Im aware.

If you are wondering what cloud point is, you can do an experiment at home. Put a bottle of olive oil in your fridge and come back in a few hours to look at it. This happens with diesel in your fuel lines and filter.

Cloud point is when wax particles start to form with the potential to start clogging filters.
Pour point is a few degrees lower when it loses its fluid characteristics.

Diesel is a blend of a good few different petrochemical components, The recipe changes from summer to winter spec, and even more dramatically when exporting to colder countries.  The recipes achieve a certain spec. that gives optimum performance/usability.  Adding the likes of Kero will reduce the temperature at which cloud point occurs but at the detriment of something else eg. Cetane level, smoke point, burn efficiency etc.  But it is a quick fix.  Different refineries will use different recipes depending on how they refine crude oil, but with the aim of achieving the same spec.  Plus their additives for extra miles, easy starting or whatever marketing ploy.  You’d be surprised how many different brand name fuels come from the same refinery fuel storage depot.

Back to the OP.  You may unknowingly still be using summer spec diesel, but in exceptionally cold condition the “UK winter spec” may still not give the protection needed were a Norwegian winter spec would.

Having been to the alps a couple of weeks ago, I was advised to fill up close to the mountains as they were more likely to have proper winter diesel.  I bought some of my own additive which I forgot to take so added in the tank this week after hearing of similar issues.