side light bulb wattage.

last night my front side light bulb went, so I replaced it with a spare. Then I noticed it was twice as bright as the other one. New one turned out to be 10w, old one was 5w. Makes a huge difference, but if I replace both fronts with 10w, is that too much for the fuse/ wiring of a 20 yo truck. I know it is a piffling 10 w total extra, but they  fitted 5w for a reason. Any thoughts, or should I just refit a new 5w?

A 12v 10W (or 2 x 5W)  lamp will draw less than 1 amp, so 2 amps for a pair of 10W will be no problem at all for the wiring or fuses. Don't forget, you'll have 21W lamps for the indicators and stop lights on the same size wiring.

I think the original choice of 5W lamps has more to do with construction and use regulations that were relevant at the time.

Just be aware the running the 10w may begin to melt the holders especially if they've been replaced by cheap units and you run with sidelights on all the time. The 21w are in the same holders but only momentary...ie brake lights (via a 21/5w twin filament) and indicators. 

Ok,  I wasn't  trying to be clever,  just noticed that  they were brighter, and thought that could be a good thing. Anyhow just bought a pack of 2 5w,  and put one in,....hmmmmm, that's still brighter than the other one, even in daylight. So I swapped the other one as well.  This is what it looked like..

40589199711_c507d4af89_k.jpgWP_20180303_10_05_00_Pro by mark tilley, on Flickr

Is this  normal  aging  or is it a type of 'silvered ' bulb.  Never seen one like it. The other dead one was like it as well.

As said, thanks all for the input.    :)

Edited by Yostumpy

A decade back I thought it would be smart to put 10-Watt bulbs in place of the standard 5-watt ones.

They melted the lenses, and let water in, causing the bulbs to fail. So I reverted to 5-Watt bulbs and put a blob of Araldite over the melted hole.

To be honest, why bother trying to uprate your glow-worm-power 'parking-lights'? It's really rather easy and more sensible to fit a relay that switches your main-beam headlights on as soon as you turn the ignition-key.

the problem is with LEDs   (i changed all the bulbs in my Puma to LEDs the week it rolled out the show room, because mainly, A) I didn't want the unreliability issues, and B) didn't want to worry about leaving the lights on!

What i didnt foresee was that fact that the heat from incandescent bulb helps drive off the moisture / condensation, and the lights are no more reliable (and in these times, that heat clears away the snow and ice!)

14657332_10207781667116669_2466349646200793605_n.jpg

That smoke is only for series with a dynamo.

Be careful with Lucas smoke these days, as anyone who pays can use the Lucas branding. You may find that it's cheap Chinese smoke and nowhere near OEM or genuine quality smoke. 

HTH

Mo

• Haha 1

22 hours ago, Oakmaster said:

the problem is with LEDs   (i changed all the bulbs in my Puma to LEDs the week it rolled out the show room, because mainly, A) I didn't want the unreliability issues, and B) didn't want to worry about leaving the lights on!

What i didnt foresee was that fact that the heat from incandescent bulb helps drive off the moisture / condensation, and the lights are no more reliable (and in these times, that heat clears away the snow and ice!)

14657332_10207781667116669_2466349646200793605_n.jpg

All joking aside, the heat is a double edged sword...it can dry off condensation and melt ice but if it's the usual black grime road spray the heat soon turns this into a nice brown film that vastly reduces light output. I would say my halogen transit lights suffer more through this than any icing that occurs on the defenders' LED units.