"Lazy" starter motor?.

SWB

Series III petrol, 2 1/4 petrol, when starting engine the starter motor turns very slow, as if the battery is flat. (New battery fitted).

Wiring fully connected, nothing missing or loose. Anyone any ideas?.

I have just been through something similar in these cold mornings. The 88" was terribly slow on the starter and I had to give up on starting a couple of mornings. But as soon as the Sun had been up a couple of hours (still below zero though) it would fire right up. And it didn't matter how good a battery I hooked up. Turned out to be the gap in the points! Had to look back at my old teachings about points ignition and the ramping of the ignition to realize that because the gap was too big the ignition happened too fast and therefore too early so the starter couldn't crank it over. Why it was worse when really cold I don't know, but maybe because the air is denser.

Maybe this is your problem as well? Could be worth checking before swapping out the startermotor

• 4 weeks later...
On 03/03/2018 at 10:35 AM, SWB said:

Series III petrol, 2 1/4 petrol, when starting engine the starter motor turns very slow, as if the battery is flat. (New battery fitted).

Wiring fully connected, nothing missing or loose. Anyone any ideas?.

Check the voltage on the starter side of teh solenoid - contacts can get burnt and not connect properly.  Had real trouble with a Series 1 many years ago and that was it.