Heaters

ianmayco68

11 hours ago, Anderzander said:

At the other end of the scale - I noticed that the planar fitting instructions cite needing 50mm of space at the intake end and 150mm at the outlet end ... but I’ve seen a few air heaters installed in seatboxes where the outlet has the tiniest length of pipe to bring it into the footwell.... what do you think that’s about? Is it to so with how hot the unit itself gets? 

The reason is to stop overheat issues, same reason theres a maximum duct lenght both inlet and outlet, if too much resistance theres not enough airflow , so the heater shuts down in protection mode, we commonly get reports of equipment placed infront of vent and heater not working! Not all heaters can have a 90deg hood fitted for that very reason , rule of thumb is clearance has to be the duct diameter on the intake

On 3/5/2018 at 8:45 AM, Snagger said:

Peak, while the water heater unit itself is quieter than the air heater, the water heater type will need the vehicle's blower to be on, so you'll get comparable noise levels.

I had a water eberspacher (espar in the US) and it had no blower noise because it was connected to household radiators so no air need to be blown.

On 06/03/2018 at 12:25 PM, Anderzander said:

At the other end of the scale - I noticed that the planar fitting instructions cite needing 50mm of space at the intake end and 150mm at the outlet end ... but I’ve seen a few air heaters installed in seatboxes where the outlet has the tiniest length of pipe to bring it into the footwell.... what do you think that’s about? Is it to so with how hot the unit itself gets? 

I suspect they mean that the end of the inlet pipe needs a 50mm open space and the exhaust 150mm clear from the opening to ensure adequate gas ventilation, not that the length of the pipes are limited to a minimum of those figures.

20 hours ago, zardos said:

I had a water eberspacher (espar in the US) and it had no blower noise because it was connected to household radiators so no air need to be blown.

That would work well with the MoD WInterised 110 tub radiators, I suspect, again with little noise for the same reason of using convective heat exchangers.

6 hours ago, Snagger said:

I suspect they mean that the end of the inlet pipe needs a 50mm open space and the exhaust 150mm clear from the opening to ensure adequate gas ventilation, not that the length of the pipes are limited to a minimum of those figures.

Combustion air and exhaust  only need there own diameter as clearance to operate, its the air intake and the air outlet on an air heater that is the concern to prevent overheating .Although robust  both the main manufacturers have to build safety systems in to match the main market for these products which is OEM fits, the after market use such as boats and ambulances etc is a drop in the ocean compared to OEM fits, people often complain they are too complicated and fitted with lockouts etc, but thats whats needed in the world of OEM.

7 hours ago, supaimpy said:

Combustion air and exhaust  only need there own diameter as clearance to operate, its the air intake and the air outlet on an air heater that is the concern to prevent overheating .Although robust  both the main manufacturers have to build safety systems in to match the main market for these products which is OEM fits, the after market use such as boats and ambulances etc is a drop in the ocean compared to OEM fits, people often complain they are too complicated and fitted with lockouts etc, but thats whats needed in the world of OEM.

I wasn't being specific to the burning side - intake and exhaust apply to the cabin air as well as combustion side of the heater.  My point was that the measurements are not minimum duct lengths but minimum distances of the opening to any obstruction, as per Anderzander's diagram above.

Worked for Eberspacher for nearly 20 years and don't think a week goes past when I dont see a complete horror story on installations where people have ignored the instructions, so if anyone wants any advice on Eberspacher heaters or if you have a Snatch with an Eberspacher AC system feel free to PM.

Just to be clear and no dig at anyone on this thread always tricky to write and not come across or be interpretted wrongly:mellow:

Edited by supaimpy
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1