Booster packs

Driver

In my experience, most of the Lithium Ion types (Amazon /Ebay) pretty poor and do not deliver a useful current when required - cold, flat batttery.

My advice would be to make your own.  The bare minimum is just a known good battery - and some jump leads.  Even a small lead acid battery will out perform most of the bought ones.

You could put the battery in a box to make the whole thing tidier - Chris Watts GBMud made a nice one.

I have a LiFePO4 Golf cart battery I use - which I’m planning on putting in an Ammo box along with its charger.

Fixing the problem is often easier said than done.

Si

I got the below about a year ago and I've been really impressed. Had wanted one for a while after deciding it would be about the same price as making a decent set of long jump leads.  I used it as a sole means of starting a 2.5ltr petrol for about a week with a completely dead battery and it didn't struggle at all. Dead easy to use, put the plug in and clip to the battery and away you go.

Supposedly it's big enough to start 8 litre diesels 60 times on one charge...I doubt that but it's nice knowing it's a bit over specc'd for what I would use it for. They all come with various charing ports for phones and stuff and the obligatory flashlight built into the body.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B07125GSZQ/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1

If you're having starting problems due to sluggish cranking, there are a limited number of issues that can cause it on something as simple as a Series vehicle.  Dirty electrical connections are the most common issue, especially the earth strap from block to chassis.  A bad battery that only holds a surface charge is a common suspect, followed by a failed alternator that doesn't charge a good battery.  Next is a worn out starter motor, and last a bad solenoid for the starter circuit.

An autoelectrical shop will be quite able to check your alternator and battery, and bypassing the solenoid with a heavy wire or screw driver will test that item, leaving only the starter motor as difficult to test without spending on replacement.

This is my, now complete, 'Ex-box'.

The inverter is only 300W continuous (pure Sine Wave) but seems to cope with 550W for 2 mins until it overheats & shuts down.  It's enough to run most small things like laptop chargers or a grinder for a while anyway.

Si

Eggs-Box 2.jpg

Eggs-Box 1.jpg

• Like 2

In my experience, the majority of starting problems are down to poor electrical connections.  One of the biggest issues on LR's is using the chassis for the earth return on the starter.

I would suggest running a heavy 25 or 35mm^2 cable from the battery -ve to one of the starter mounting bolts.  Also replace the braided strap from the starter to the chassis, giving the studs a good wire-brushing.  Cover all the connections in petroleum jelly before tightening which will give it long term protection from corrosion.

This gives the starter and battery the best possible chance - and is a lot cheaper than either.

Running a similar heavy earth from the Alternator to the battery also helps charging performance. 

A jump pack is still useful when all else has failed and you're going to be late for work!

Si

14 minutes ago, simonr said:

In my experience, the majority of starting problems are down to poor electrical connections.  One of the biggest issues on LR's is using the chassis for the earth return on the starter.

I would suggest running a heavy 25 or 35mm^2 cable from the battery -ve to one of the starter mounting bolts.  Also replace the braided strap from the starter to the chassis, giving the studs a good wire-brushing.  Cover all the connections in petroleum jelly before tightening which will give it long term protection from corrosion.

This gives the starter and battery the best possible chance - and is a lot cheaper than either.

Running a similar heavy earth from the Alternator to the battery also helps charging performance. 

A jump pack is still useful when all else has failed and you're going to be late for work!

Si

Agreed. Stick a battery jump lead between the battery -ive and the starter mounting bolt. If cranking improves you know you’re looking in the right area.

Today my jump pack got used for the first time in anger.  My friend’s Td5 90 Battery was too flat to start - combination of cold weather, possible glow plugs not working and not having been run in a while.  It didn’t start immediately, but it certainly cranked enthusiastically!  That’s why we suspect glow plugs.

Si

Ok, that  kettle socket is the input fairy-nuff.

New question - you say cover the connector with petroleum jelly before tightening, but if you get grease/jelly between the surfaces wont that be an insulator? and degrade the connection?

3 hours ago, Kevm said:

... New question - you say cover the connector with petroleum jelly before tightening, but if you get grease/jelly between the surfaces wont that be an insulator? and degrade the connection?

As Bowie69 says, there is a long history of use of petroleum jelly as described, but the 'why' is often ignored.

Petroleum jelly has two attractive characteristics in this context.
1, It is very soft, so will easily squeeze out of gaps as the components are forced together, thus it doesn't remain trapped and insulate them.

2, It is inert, and doesn't react to or with any of the metals commonly used in electrical circuits.

What happens in practice is that you spread PJ over the surfaces, including and nuts, screws, washer, and bolts used in the assembly.
By making sure you give all surfaces a continuous coating (not just a big blob that you hope will get everywhere) you fill all the minor surface imperfections.
As you tighten the connection the bulk of the PJ is forced out, allowing metal to metal contact, BUT the minor imperfections remain filled with PJ.
This prevents water, or moisture laden air, from being trapped in these hollows, where the moisture would have reacted with the metals, forming the electrolyte of a battery, and thus causing electrolytic corrosion.

The PJ, being electrically inert, doesn't form an electrolyte with the metals, so no corrosion takes place.

Note that it's fairly easy to wash PJ off the outside of connections, so any connections subject to water spray should have a physical barrier to prevent spray impact.

Regards.

5 hours ago, David Sparkes said:

Petroleum jelly has two attractive characteristics in this context.
1, It is very soft, so will easily squeeze out of gaps as the components are forced together, thus it doesn't remain trapped and insulate them.

2, It is inert, and doesn't react to or with any of the metals commonly used in electrical circuits.

3. It is waterproof which not all greases are..