Front suspension

I have always wondered how you tell if springs or shocks need replacing on my 300tdi hicap?

As I have to put chains on the front to get out at the moment, we have at least 60cm of snow, I have noticed that the gap between eyebrow and wheel on one side is significantly smaller on one side. Does this mean spring need changing?

if you want to check, then you can measure from c/c of hub, to eyebrow centre and compare, but you MUST do this on flat level ground, as its possible one wheel could be on a slight hump, and be pushed further up into the arch.

Just looking at my workshop manual and it says for the rear that you should have in excess of 67mm clearance from the axle to the bottom of the bumpstop but no mention (that I could see) of the front axle to bumpstop clearance. Assuming you have standard fronts and HD rears then fronts are double white stripe (drivers side) 384.3mm freelength and the passenger should be a double yellow strip and 368.1mm free length. As for the rears you should have red stripe and red green stripe which are 407mm and 395mm respectively.

The manual does go on to say that if any spring free length is 20mm less than original then it needs replacing. It does not tell you about shocks, however that will be obvious if you take them off to check the spring free lengths. Changing shocks will do nothing for ride height, but will probably stiffen it up slightly depending on what you fit.

Toby