Rear Corner Protection

I have an unfortunate habit of backing into things (despite nearly 30 years of driving essentially the same sized vehicle)

ideally I'd like to fit a pair of Military style rear bumperettes, (see picture below) there is a slight snag in that I have an older style spare wheel carrier, and the bracket covers the mounting holes (see other picture below)

Id be very pleased to hear suggestions as to a simple way to overcome this, especially from anyone who has done it.

Thanks

Bill

Bumperette photo courtesy of John Richards Surplus

Bumperettes.JPG

IMG_5141.JPG

Been there done that. Have you a welder ? Cut the bracket and re-weld so the bolt hole just covers the carrier. ie cut the bolt mounting off the bracket and re-weld back on. HTH Sorry no photo as my bumperettes sre boxed in.

ps.....Those brackets do bend

Can't you fit spacers or washers on the three other bolts to the same thickness as the bracket, so that you can use all four bolts to mount it?  A shave of the top edge of the bumperette leg won't harm it, but lopping the entire corner off is going to make it much weaker.

Could you not put the spare wheel on the rear door? 🤔 or is the weight the problem? Hence the swing away carrier.... 

tidy looking truck Scotts90. Has that ever seen the tarmac? 😂👍

Just had a look at first four, yes I see they do a short version for the carrier...I got my terrafirma ones at a great price so didn't mind the cut-n-shut to make fit. "Bespoke" I think they call it lol

Yes, swing arm due to the weight of the wheel and the unsympathetic way in which the kids shut the damn door! And yes, it's my daily driver...no excuse for a dirty truck.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, DC_ said:

Could you not put the spare wheel on the rear door? 🤔 or is the weight the problem? Hence the swing away carrier.... 

tidy looking truck Scotts90. Has that ever seen the tarmac? 😂👍

Mine is a Pick-up!

6 hours ago, Mo Murphy said:

This is what I had to do Oakmaster to fit mine together. Not ideal for you but illustrates that with a bit of a head scratch you can achieve what you want to.

Mo

20180305_145816.jpg

Excellent skills and out of the box thinking 

• Like 1

Did the same as Scotts90. I was a bit lazy and did not drill the new bottom hole after having the bar shortened by 52mm. I did mark the location for the hole, but it all fits tight enough with three bolts. These are Terrafirma, I believe, and I like the way that they also protect the sides of the back corner. The tyre carrier is a Mantec one. My spare was located on the bonnet, but I wanted better visibility and to take the mass of the spare off of the bonnet.

C

Left Side Rear Corner.jpg

Right Side.jpg

One reason I moved the spare tyre to a carrier on the tailgate was to get some weight on the back-end to assisti (in a small way) with ballancing the breaking effort.

Another (less good reason) was because I had 2 of them kicking about!