Hi everyone

hope you can help me with this. From what I can work out the cooling system froze up in the cold weather we've had. It did have anti freeze in it but obviously not enough or something. 

Now water pours out as of a hole above the drain point for the cooling system as fast as I can pour it in, hopefully the pictures will make it a bit clearer.

If anyone can let me know what this could be and how bad it possibly is, I'm worried that it's pretty bad at the minute and then engines coming out.

thanks 

IMG_2024.JPG

IMG_2026.JPG

IMG_2028.JPG

That's a missing core plug, pushed out by ice formation.  You're lucky it came out and drained the coolant before the block cracked.

They're cheap to replace, but access is awkward.  Ask Ed Parrot - he just did his.

Wow that was lucky. You can get them from turners engineering. They are different sizes depending on location, probably best to give them a call. Have you checked if you can see any others that are missing or on their way out?

Get some antifreeze too!

30 minutes ago, landroversforever said:

Lucky that they've done what they're designed to do. 

They're not for that, though as seen, they can sometimes protect the block in that way.  Their purpose is entirely to do with the casting process in the factory, allowing internal molds to be supported to create the voids for the water jacket and water and oil pathways.

Just ordered a new one from Dingocroft for a couple of quid, didn't realise they were different sizes. I guess I'll see if it fits when it turns up. Where else are they on the engine? I'll go round and have a check. When I put water in it though that's the only point I saw leaking. 

3 on that side, suggest replacing all 3,  easier to dismount the exhaust downpipe & both manifolds for better access.

items 3 & 4 on page 171 http://www.retroanaconda.com/landrover/parts_books/110/3_engine_200TDI_300TDI_V8_p168-299.pdf for engine block

similar items on cylinder head too on page 184 of the same link.

block core plug photo's attached. 

core plugs 1.jpg

core plug 2.jpg

core plug 3.jpg

Edited by western
photo's added, block coreplugs marked in yellow