Cast Iron and Aluminum Crack Repair

Cchase

Our local car club had a member present on a repair he did on an engine block using this product. The crack was from the outside into the coolant jacket. The engine block was from a TR2. We were amazed at the successful result. It all seems to be very counter-intuitive to drill holes to fix a crack. Enjoy.

• Like 1

They showed this cold metal stitching process on Car SOS of all places. They got a locomotive engineer to stitch a large crack in the cast iron head of a vintage something or other. he used a grinder to cut the crack deeper, drilled it in a similar fashion to the video above and then let in a strip of new material if memory serves. Absolutely beautiful work.

Edited by Shackleton

I’ve seen the plate that crosses the crack as well. What I haven’t seen is a side ways drilling so a length of threaded rod can be glued into the thread.

I bet there have been all sort done in the past?

it astounds me what will tig weld. We do cylinder heads, and that should be worse, but it seems to work just fine :)