Brakes

Hi

I am hoping someone can help. I have a Defender 90 300TDI. In the last few months I have rebuilt all the brake callipers (new seals, pistons etc.) fitted new discs and pads and replaced the brake fluid. However I am still only achieving 53% efficiency. :wacko: ????

Do you think the servo is working? There are 3 points of failure, the servo itself(they tend to get a leak) the non return valve and the vacuum pump. One test you can do is sit in the car and pump the pedal a few times get rid of any residual vacuum. Then put your foot on the brake and start the engine. You should feel the servo kick in and the pedal depress a bit. If not, the valve is cheap and easy to swap, and if you can, measure the vacuum generated by the pump - a new one does about .9 bar, a knackered one about .3. Sometimes if there is a servo leak you can hear the hiss. Does the pedal feel progressive or is it just rock solid?