Fred Dibnah's collection up for sale

Great way to start an argument that Fridge.

Looks like a lot of overinflated stuff, that's only going to sell because it was his.  Any other workshop clearance would dump the vast majority of that stuff as not worth the effort.

And I thought I had some cack stored up! 

Can't believe they've even bothered to list some of that - 'two old grease buckets and a plank!' 

Prices are a bit ambitious too considering they want 15% commission plus 20% vat! 

• Like 1

I read the current owner was trying to sell as a museum, obviously no buyers!

The lots look pretty standard for a closure auction, I'm sure his name will up the price. The thing that's sad is that if I think back to when I was younger and to what my granddad and his mates were like Fred would just be a normal bloke, making what they need out of what they have. They were all like that. Now if it's not available to buy from Amazon it's impossible to do.

• Like 1

To be honest I thought a lot of it was cheap, if anyone has that sort of stuff hoarded and wants to sell it cheaper then give me a shout :) 

I did see one item that is vastly underpriced by comparison elsewhere. Not surprisingly it's one of the only things that has a bid and has already exceeded it's guide. If I were based in the UK I'd be bidding on a few things, I wish I were.

19 hours ago, Cynic-al said:

The thing that's sad is that if I think back to when I was younger and to what my granddad and his mates were like Fred would just be a normal bloke, making what they need out of what they have. They were all like that. Now if it's not available to buy from Amazon it's impossible to do.

This is my great grandfathers workshop - note the lineshaft in the roof :)IMG_1307.thumb.JPG.9a8473d45d679483c0d4f60d3a3bdf21.JPGIMG_1297.thumb.JPG.099bcd6857afb53824557b92761450ec.JPG

The car is a De Dion Bouton , not sure what the bikes are , and no I don't have any of them unfortunately .

Fred Dibnah's presence on TV has certainly helped to raise the profile of engineering imo

Steve b

• Like 3

16 hours ago, martyn668 said:

Other online stores are available. (Some of them even pay their taxes.)

Every company put there uses legal methods to minimise the amount of tax they pay, after all their tax bill is paid by their customer so the less tax they pay the less we pay the more custom they get. People seem to be of the opinion that getting companies to pay more tax is free money into the countries coffers but the simple fact is it comes from us the consumer.

It also annoys me that people say they pay no tax. The reduce their corporation tax, they still pay business rates on all their warehouses, some vat on purchases items and energy, road tax on vehicles, their employees pay income tax and capped national insurance and they pay uncapped national insurance as well as pension contributions etc etc and reduce the welfare burded so I feel it' just largely  another political headline to try win votes. However yes, it is annoying that I pay more in income tax than they pay in corporation tax. Lol

Anyway back to Fred, nice motorworks photos :)

21 hours ago, Cynic-al said:

I read the current owner was trying to sell as a museum, obviously no buyers!

The lots look pretty standard for a closure auction, I'm sure his name will up the price. The thing that's sad is that if I think back to when I was younger and to what my granddad and his mates were like Fred would just be a normal bloke, making what they need out of what they have. They were all like that. Now if it's not available to buy from Amazon it's impossible to do.

You are dead right with those last three lines. Nowadays, I've noticed that there are two kinds of people from the way they respond to the mess in my carport: those who get it, and those who appear to be slightly panicked because they've suddenly landed on another planet and can't figure out what they're looking at. Which is very entertaining. Though up here, being in the bush, Fred's sort of skills are still very much in use outside of the towns. 

On 10/03/2018 at 10:49 AM, Cynic-al said:

Every company put there uses legal methods to minimise the amount of tax they pay, after all their tax bill is paid by their customer so the less tax they pay the less we pay the more custom they get. People seem to be of the opinion that getting companies to pay more tax is free money into the countries coffers but the simple fact is it comes from us the consumer.

It also annoys me that people say they pay no tax. The reduce their corporation tax, they still pay business rates on all their warehouses, some vat on purchases items and energy, road tax on vehicles, their employees pay income tax and capped national insurance and they pay uncapped national insurance as well as pension contributions etc etc and reduce the welfare burded so I feel it' just largely  another political headline to try win votes. However yes, it is annoying that I pay more in income tax than they pay in corporation tax. Lol

Anyway back to Fred, nice motorworks photos :)

In 2011 Amazon turned over £3.3bn in the U.K. and paid £6m in tax. In 2014, £5.3bn in turnover and £11.9m in tax. In both years around 0.2% tax rate. It’s all via legal loopholes, but it’s highly unethical, and the sooner people realise how Amazon is putting high street or even other online retailers out of business (who all pay taxes, because they can't afford the time to find the loopholes), and the sooner they force Amazon to take more social responsibility (and pay more tax) the better the education our children will have.

Of course, I realise that if Amazon paid a more "ethical" level of tax, there prices might go up 20 or more percent, but that wouuld level the playing field with other retailers.

Not sure what ruses Amazon uses to reduce their taxes so much, but Starbucks did it by effectively (over-)charging all their outlets "licensing rights" to use the logo. The company that they licensed the logo from - based in Luxembourg.  Therefore the majority of  profits are made in Luxembourg, and the majority of taxes are paid there, at a lower rate than in most EU countries. All perfectly legal of course, but hardly an ethical way to change tax authorities. What value did Luxembourg add to to a cup of coffee bought in Peckam? And no, I don'y buy from Starbucks either.

Rant over for today.

On 3/10/2018 at 9:04 PM, Cynic-al said:

I went to see my grandad today, it's his 89th birthday. He was out in his shed making bee hives. He was wittled down a stick, cut strips of sand paper and glued them too it as you can't waste money buying a file to fit :rolleyes: :lol:

I'd bet almost anything that within our lifetimes this will become normal again . . . okay, maybe with a 3D printer, but still . . . 

Love those old workshop photos,  I could spend hours looking at stuff like that and perusing the stuff lying on benches and hanging up on hooks - just finished Henry Fords biography and there are some great photos of the early production lines and people's experimenting sheds.  

Would an old workshop photo thread be too OT? 

Don't blame Amazon, Starbuck's etc for paying minimal taxes. They have a responsibility to their shareholders to minimise their expenses, including the taxes they pay.  It's the politicians who are to blame, since they are the ones who make the laws.  If they were sloppy in drafting the laws then, of course, savvy lawyers and accountants are going to find and take advantage of the loop holes. Put the blame where it belongs.  Of course, loop holes often exist because of pressure from vested interest groups and lobbyists wanting some sort of special consideration and the undesirable consequences not having been thought through.

Mike

They'e often put in place with good intent but get used in a way that wasn't expected or they're negotiated to get access to something else. 

Part of my job is claiming r&d tax relief and the accountant we use have a customer that claims r&d tax relief for developing new cockails which involves taste testing :)

I agree I don't understand the costa/ Starbucks coffee culture. I can get from a to b without needed a £5 coffee half way.