discovery 2 abs retrofit

robhybrid

I've searched here and couldn't quite find the answers I was looking for, but please post links if you think I've missed it.

I'm fed up with the brakes on my 300 tdi defender 90 being useless.

I changed to td5 110 vented fronts with new calipers and 110 rear calipers"with a slight mod"

I've tried fitting a td5 abs model servo and master cylinder too without success.

I've got a scrap disco2 I'm breaking and a discovery 300tdi that I'm breaking.

could I fit the abs module from the discovery2 to my 90? and use the axles of the 300 tdi discovey?

will the disco2 abs ecu be able to read 300tdi abs censors?

Would I be able to fit the flywheel censor of the disco 2 for the ecu engine speed censor? or has someone made a module to convert alternator W sine wave onto suitable square wave for the ecu?

I thought if I'm going to the effort of fitting ABS I may as well try and get the TC and hill decent to work as well.

I've got axles sat here with upgraded internals and arb lockers but this is for my towing and work vehicle not an outright rip up the mud play toy.

I don't mind the work involved and I don't see I have much expense as I have all the major components here in working order. 

I'd considered this but wondered/worried about break balance. I avoided it in the end because I thought the ECU was probably tuned to the weight distribution of the D2. Ideally both axles should be in ABS activation point at the same amout of 'foot'. That and for me I didn't have the bits so it would be a large investment for a gamble.

I also looked into kit car systems and for some reason there is no off the shelf ABS system for kit cars. You have abs if it came with the donor, but no generic systems. Think there was something in the IVA manual too but will doubke check on that. Not suggesting you're needing it, but there attitude towards retrofit of ABS may have been telling.

I'd wanted it for similar reasons and having heard how interesting live axle trucks with all terrains can be on wet roads!

Ignore my comment about the IVA. Couldn't find anything in the manual similar to what I was thinking.

Bosch motorsport do do an off the shelf tunable system but it was £5k ish on the forums that it's mentioned on and full of disclaimers removing as much liability from bosch as possible if the system was used on the road. It's mentioned that it is tunable for wheel diameter which raises the question about how bigger tyres on ABS equipped LRs effect the opperation of the ABS system. Unlikely to have hill decent, but I stopped looking at it after seeing the cost and disclaimer!

Edited by WesBrooks

Brakes on a 90 should be excellent, you have a fault in your system, not an inherent fault that needs a different system to fix.

Suggest you look at servo and vacuum pump to start with.

If you start mucking about fitting different vehicle abs systems to your truck, in the event of an accident, Mr Plod could well become very interested....