4.6 V8 Megasquirt and Compushift Auto conversion into a 2001 TD5 Defender

7 hours ago, Santa said:

Nice project. Have you considered using an external fuel pump like a Bosch and just set up the tank with a pickup........

cheers

Nick

G'day Nick! 

Now I have the tank out, I have a better understanding of the suggestions earlier in the thread by Dave W and FF. I much prefer a solution where I don't have to do any adaption, so I do like the idea of replacing the in-tank TD5 pump and sender with a pick up and sender. That would leave me free to use any fuel pump my heart desired. Do you have a model number for the Bosch? 

1 hour ago, elbekko said:

Why did you have to mention this? My bank account already loathes me.

Ha! But they are soooooo pretty. :)

If it helps find bits, Freelander pumps have a very similar looking mounting to the tank, wouldn't be surprised if it's all one standard diameter ring so you might find almost any modern pump made by Bosch etc. would drop into the hole. Maybe...

12 hours ago, Powerslave said:

G'day Nick! 

Now I have the tank out, I have a better understanding of the suggestions earlier in the thread by Dave W and FF. I much prefer a solution where I don't have to do any adaption, so I do like the idea of replacing the in-tank TD5 pump and sender with a pick up and sender. That would leave me free to use any fuel pump my heart desired. Do you have a model number for the Bosch? 

Ha! But they are soooooo pretty. :)

On my V8 I used a Bosch 044 pump that was common on Holdens here. I picked up one from the wreckers (breakers?) and mounted it on the chassis rail. I put a filter before the pump as I had a steel long range tank. All up I think it cost me $60 to set up and worked perfectly for 15 years.  The wiring that went to the original RRC pump was just hooked up to the Bosch one. I'm not sure how the td5 pump is wired but I'm guessing it would be similar. 

Nick

A quick update:

Mo ran a thread which covered quite a lot of ground. Anyone reading this one looking for more information about fuel pumps and tanks should look here: 

I can see plastic under the mud and have the pump out of the donor vehicle. I picked up a new seal so I can put the tank back together this weekend. 

I also looked at the fueling circuit diagram in the workshop manual. It seems that the high pressure hose connected originally to (8) on the TD5 pump goes all the way to the engine bay without interruption (which is nice). The manual also says that the hp circuit runs at 58 psi which is the same as the pressure from the Disco II V8 pump. Should be ok then......

2018-03-27 14.53.30.jpg

2018-03-28 15.56.06.jpg

Screen Shot 2018-03-29 at 20.27.03.png

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/29/2018 at 9:59 PM, Powerslave said:

A quick update:

Mo ran a thread which covered quite a lot of ground. Anyone reading this one looking for more information about fuel pumps and tanks should look here: 

I can see plastic under the mud and have the pump out of the donor vehicle. I picked up a new seal so I can put the tank back together this weekend. 

I also looked at the fueling circuit diagram in the workshop manual. It seems that the high pressure hose connected originally to (8) on the TD5 pump goes all the way to the engine bay without interruption (which is nice). The manual also says that the hp circuit runs at 58 psi which is the same as the pressure from the Disco II V8 pump. Should be ok then......

2018-03-27 14.53.30.jpg

2018-03-28 15.56.06.jpg

Screen Shot 2018-03-29 at 20.27.03.png

Just remember the Thor motor (or D2 V8) uses a rerun less fuel system and the early p38 used a return type fuel system. So make sure that the pump can run with out a return.

Or install a pressure regulator off a d1 further down the line and use a return line. If you do that make sure it returns into the pump housing or you will have fuel starvation when the tank level drops below full.

You can retain the td5 fuel filter too. Just need to blank the air bleed and return lines on the filter housing. 

What about stripping your d2 fuel pump out the housing and installing it into the td5 pump housing and refitting it. I’ve done that a few times in the past and it works well. 

Yep - the more I looked into it (with the benefit of having the various parts on the bench), it seemed like there were quite a few options. As there is a single pipe with the right fittings on already running from the fuel tank area to the engine bay and, as you say, the D2 pump is returnless, isn't the easiest option to just dump the D2 V8 fuel pump into the TD5 tank and connect the single HP hose? (I hope it is anyway. :lol: )

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 years later...