If you value this forum's future please support us
Darren Roberts

Range Rover Classic Swivels

HI All,

Swivels are knackered. Ot a spare set but one is completely shot, the other has only a little bit of corrosion. Has anyone had there's refinished?

I know someone who brought the teflon ones and the swivel collapsed on a green lane, and it cost him a fortune to get recovered. Worse case I ws going to shot blast them and refinish with JB Weld unless anyone has any better (and preferably) cat effective solutions.

PS My hardest us the ABS model so the swivels seem much harder to come by.......

cheers

D

For minor corrosion, I applied several coats of paint then sanded it back to smooth the surface. It was a bodge but it stopped the leak for another 6 months.

I'd be interested to hear how you get on JB weld, I have an axle that needs a swivel rebuild.

Harry

Have a look for a chroming business and see what they say. I know they can be re-chromed. 

I have a pair of RRC ABS and non ABS swivels here if you want to check if they’re better than yours. Hills Road before Addenbrookes. 

cheers, Steve 

Thanks Steve. I may well take you up on the offer. I have one ok and one shagged. I'll give you. shout next week when I have a bit more time on my hands...I'm after ABS ones.....

cheers

D

Going to catch up with Steve hopefully late this week. I did get a quote back fro Ashford Chroming. £320 for the pair....

Many years ago, when I had not a penny to spare, I used JB Weld for swivel repairs.

My 1972 88" had some sizeable pitts, and they leaked rather well. IIRC I degreased them and bead blasted the corroded areas before applying JB Weld. Sanding this to a smooth and spherical surface took some patience, but the end result was a 100% leak free success :)

28 minutes ago, mickeyw said:

Many years ago, when I had not a penny to spare, I used JB Weld for swivel repairs.

My 1972 88" had some sizeable pitts, and they leaked rather well. IIRC I degreased them and bead blasted the corroded areas before applying JB Weld. Sanding this to a smooth and spherical surface took some patience, but the end result was a 100% leak free success :)

Nice.....