Speedo transducer input for 14 CUX

I doubt the hall effect sender will work.  The 14CUX used a reed switch type of transducer with an inline resistor, giving a 12V pulse. YBE100540 with a resistor will work, but it probably won't run the TD5 speedometer.  It will work, though, with an aftermarket VDO speedometer.

Capture.JPG

Edited by Red90
  • Like 1

Red, can you see any issue with taking 2 signal feeds from the transducer, one with a resistor in it for the 14CUX and one for the speedo, assuming I could get it recalibrated to run on double the pulses ?

Cheers

Mo

It works fine as I've shown it with an aftermarket VDO speedo.  I've personally set one up this way.  The resistor is needed because the 14CUX does not limit the current and will fry the transducer.  If you open up the VSS that came with 14CUX vehicles, you will find it is a transducer just like YBE100540 with a 120 Ohm resistor inline.  That is the other option as well, use the VSS box from an early RRC or Disco.

I have no idea if the TD5 speedo can be made to work with this type of signal.

You could get massively high-tech and use a transistor fed from the 5v regulated line to pull a 12v line down via a resistor to create a 12v pulsed line.

Or if memory serves, the speed signal isn't actually required for the 14CUX to work.

Thanks for clarifying that Red90, I'm pretty certain that the electronic TD5 speedo can be calibrated to run on the 540 transducer and I can't see both the limited supply to the ecu and the speedo drawing too much current through the transducer

It does seem that you have provided the solution.

I'm obliged to you Sir

Mo

There is a function on the Td5 speedo that provides a modified version of the transducer signal which, on Td5 vehicles, is sent to the engine ECU.

I believe the modification is that the frequency is either doubled or halved, alas I can’t remember which. On mine I have used it to feed the cruise control ECU, I’m not sure if it would be suitable for the CUX unit.

2 hours ago, FridgeFreezer said:

You could get massively high-tech and use a transistor fed from the 5v regulated line to pull a 12v line down via a resistor to create a 12v pulsed line.

Or if memory serves, the speed signal isn't actually required for the 14CUX to work.

The 14CUX uses the VSS signal to determine when the vehicle is stopping and when moving.  It has two idle modes for stopped and moving.  Without the VSS, the ECU can decide to go into the wrong mode and you tend to stall when coming to a stop or when just sitting idling as the idle control is not aggressive enough.

That and you will throw a code, so can't use the CEL.

This is what LR says.

Vehicle Speed Sensor (VSS) The Vehicle Speed Sensor is located on the left hand side of the frame on early models, and on the left hand side of the transfer case on later models. It informs the ECM when vehicle speed is above or below 3 mph. This information is used by the ECM to ensure that the idle air control valve (IACV) is moved to a position to prevent a stall when the vehicle comes to a stop. DTC 68 will be displayed if the MAF is greater than 3V at 2000-3000 RPM’s

Others state that is also allows for complete fuel cutoff on overrun, which would save a bit of fuel.  I've found the stalling issue being a real PITA when the VSS was not connected.