Series 3 109 Buying Guide/Tips?

Jim-Bob

Hi Guys, I’m off to view a series 3 109 2.25 petrol on Sunday, but I’m a complete LR newbie, having only ever had French and German hatchbacks and vans, so the more pointers I have the better!

I’ve brought a printed buyers guide, which is very detailed, but I doubt I’ll remember (or know how) to check half of it whilst viewing!

I am going with a very knowledgeable friend to view it, however he is from a he coiler brigade 😜

So what are the the main things I need to check, it’s a 3 door van with rear windows added just behind the front seats?

It needs a small patch on the top of the bulkhead on the passenger side, there’s a small hole near the mirror.

All advice greatly appreciated! Thanks in advance!

James

Numbers, V5 and all that.

Rust. Everywhere on the chassis, the bulkhead, the front panel.

Clunks from the drive.

Steering! Play, everywhere!

Other than that, all old car stuff, if the wiring is hacked about too much factor in the cost of replacing it.

The comics have price and condition guides, so use them to haggle.

Cheers Gazzar,

The owner assured me that the bulkhead rust patch is the only bit, has had welding done (on the chassis I believe) during his ownership to make it roadworthy.

Will definitely check the wiring but will probably rewire it all anyway, want to add a few extras and security features whilst I’m at it! And untidy/modified wiring sets my sparky OCD off big time!

James

Take a blunt instrument and poke about.  You can get bitten by rot on the bulkhead and chassis even if it appears superficial or "just a small hole".  Remember to check the bottom of the door pillars.  Footwells are likely to have some rot but is less of an issue.  The engine should start with ease and run smoothly.  Gearbox will make more noise than you're used to but only a low whine - no clunking or banging.  Remember to check reverse.  Also check for judder when moving off.  Essentially, how long is a piece of string.  If rot is there, simply avoid unless you're hoping to rebuild or learn how to weld.  There are loads of these about so be realistic and sensible (not meaning to sound patronising!).