Dim dip transistor - where does it mount ?

Have pulled the dash off I seem to have various relays and boxes looking for a home rather than just lurking at the bottom of the dash. Some have found a home on some pegs in the dash but where does what I think is the dim dip resister mount normally please ?

7EDC3E1B-907F-435A-9421-6FDC8D5BBF69.thumb.jpeg.d385c3f07dd25d5b4ff5c25475fda458.jpeg

Just unplug & throw it away Pete, it's a very unreliable unit, dim dip hasn't been a legal requirement for ages the law was binned back in 2006, normal dipped headlights & sidelights will work as normal. I've had 7 of those units in 24 years, disconnected & removed the last one about 4 years ago.

its normal location is screwed to the ngled plate above the instrument pack, with the ridges facing down & the screw heads on the opposite side, they are a pig to access.

There were 2 kinds of dim-dip: one used the gold-coloured resistor under the front wing coupled to a relay; the other kind used the module shown, with 'pulse width modulation' to reduce the power to the headlamps.

The need for dim-dip was removed some time in the late-1990s. Best thing to do with either the resistor or PWM-module versions is to disable them.

If there's a need for headlamps then turn them on properly! "Dim-dip" led to plenty of losers driving around at night with only the dim-dip active rather than the proper headlights.

On 17/03/2018 at 10:32 PM, Bowie69 said:

Indeed, and no tail lights of course.

I hate this so much, so many cars tooling around in awful weather (rain, fog, snow) with NO rear lights because the DRL's are on and the automatic lights can tell it's not night time.

I have a dim/dip module somewhere - not fitted to the truck though!

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
2 hours ago, mad_pete said:

So remove, bin and just cable tie the plug somewhere? Or is there a bypass connection required ?

nope, just unplug & remove it from vehicle, nothing else to do with it, took mine out about 8 years ago. 

I've had 6 of those units over the last 24 years, they are very unreliable.