Car restoration. Where do you draw the line?

KrisDR

On 18/03/2018 at 3:18 AM, Paddy_SP said:

Tell me about it - my Defender project has taken years longer than it should have for the same reasons. As an ex-racecar engineer I can't abide corrosion, so fate really stuck it's knife into me when it got me into Land Rovers. Among heaps of other things, I've re-made half the damned panels in stainless steel to ensure they don't turn to white powder in six months...

hmmm adding more weight and a material that will make the steel and other metals rust/corrode etc faster than the Aluminium. I would not think that a good idea. Wouldnt it be better to hot dip gal the steel parts in contact with the Aluminum?

Uniformed, I am doing the same thing when rebuilding my land rover 110. I am replacing the door skins with galvanised skins as I do not want to be repeating the process in a couple of years time. Reasons for me is I can't fettle steel so will rely on aftermarket people for replacement skins. Now if I could afford stainless steel I would. As for the chassis, bulkhead, A, B & C pillars and sills they have all been galvanised. For the high tension steel bolts where I have not replaced with stainless bolts - and even where I have and have dissimilar metals I have coated the exposed one in duralac to hopefully slow the corrosion down.