200 TDI timing questions

In the process of rebuilding my 1989 110 I have come to retime the engine after fitting the reconditioned fuel pump. Looking at the crankshaft pulley the marked TDC as per photo below is out of line on compared to the crankshaft key. Stupid question here, I take it I use the Key as per the manual and ignore the pulley? Thus I should remark the pulley in line with the key and use that mark?

Second question - the manual state inspect the crankshaft pulley damper before refitting. Are the two chunks out of the rubber material acceptable?

crankshaft damper.jpg

Crank wudruff key.jpg

The woodruff key lines up with the arrow for tdc. The tdc mark on the damper should line up with a casting line on the cover although some don't (I have one that doesn't). Use woodruff or flywheel for timing.

I'd be more concerned about the state of the seal surface and would probably replace it.

Mike

Mike thanks for the reply. I have replaced the seal on the front cover for the crankshaft. The oil that is there in the photo was put there by me to protect the crank shaft from rust as the vehicle is stored in a barn. I will be removing it before I do the timing.

Do you think that the damper rubber is okay?

A bit of penetrating oil then some heat and go easy. I've chipped a pulley in the past by being to rough with it. It might be easier to do it with it put back on the crankshaft.