34 minutes ago, miketomcat said:

Not wishing to scare you but TSD had a similar issue with his ibex build. He got the engine running then left it for a while, when he came to start it again it wouldn't. Turned out to be diesel bug the FIP was packed full to the point it had to be replaced, I think the injectors were done as well.

Mike

I'm not overly concerned, it was running a coup!e of weeks ago, I think the issue is purely water at the moment

Regards Stephen

5 minutes ago, landroversforever said:

Worth noting that you can get additives to prevent it too. @NRS91 uses it on his trucks before they get parked up between show seasons. 

The one I use isnt allowed to be made anymore unfortunately but they are called Biocide treatments. Between that and injector cleaner you should be able to revive the fuel system with a few filter swaps.

When our JCB 3CX it conked out in the field I walked down with a new filter, Biocide and injector cleaner, filled the new filter 50/50 with the treatments and fitted it then did a double dose of both treatments in the tank.
I cranked it over for a minute to get the treatments into the pump and injectors then left it overnight and its ran sweet as a nut since!

53 minutes ago, NRS91 said:

The one I use isnt allowed to be made anymore unfortunately but they are called Biocide treatments. Between that and injector cleaner you should be able to revive the fuel system with a few filter swaps.

When our JCB 3CX it conked out in the field I walked down with a new filter, Biocide and injector cleaner, filled the new filter 50/50 with the treatments and fitted it then did a double dose of both treatments in the tank.
I cranked it over for a minute to get the treatments into the pump and injectors then left it overnight and its ran sweet as a nut since!

That's a pain. Hope there's a suitable replacement available :( 

16 minutes ago, landroversforever said:

That's a pain. Hope there's a suitable replacement available :( 

The old stuff was called WASP BioKem if people want to search it, ive got a new alternative but not had a need to try it yet.

On 4/11/2023 at 7:20 AM, miketomcat said:

Not wishing to scare you but TSD had a similar issue with his ibex build. He got the engine running then left it for a while, when he came to start it again it wouldn't. Turned out to be diesel bug the FIP was packed full to the point it had to be replaced, I think the injectors were done as well.

It wasn't diesel bug in my case, just corrosion caused by water suspended in the fuel dropping out when left standing for a long time. The FIP was clogged solid and had to be rebuilt. There was no fuel system for there to be diesel bug living in, the last time I ran it was from a jerrycan on the wing. That was only 3 years ago, parked in a dry warmish workshop. Sadly, not the first time its happened to me.

15 minutes ago, TSD said:

It wasn't diesel bug in my case, just corrosion caused by water suspended in the fuel dropping out when left standing for a long time. The FIP was clogged solid and had to be rebuilt. There was no fuel system for there to be diesel bug living in, the last time I ran it was from a jerrycan on the wing. That was only 3 years ago, parked in a dry warmish workshop. Sadly, not the first time its happened to me.

That's unfortunate, my lightweight does not get used that much, but enough where it doesn't create the issues you've had

Thanks for sharing regards Stephen

3 hours ago, elbekko said:

Indeed, what Fridge said.

Sometimes you can get it to self-excite by revving it over 2000rpm, but just hooking up the light is more reliable :)

Trying to suss this out,

I take it the wire from the alternator goes to the light and then to the ignition via a fuse, I'm assuming the ignition connection will be live so the ignition light is illuminated when ignition turned on, what causes the light to go off once alternator is charging

Regards Stephen

The mechanical power of the engine rotating the alternator induces a voltage in the field winding (what the light is connected to - basically it's "grounded" through the alternator). Essentially that induced voltage is ~12V which means that you get 0V dropped across the light which means it goes out as there's no current flowing. I think it's pretty common practice to fit a parallel resistor to the bulb as well in case the bulb goes you don't kill the vehicle through lack of charging (you detect the bulb has failed because the light doesn't illuminate when the ignition is on and engine is not running).

• Thanks 1

It's also not unheard of for LR to fit a diode in series so that the alternator warning light feed can't run back through the bulb and provide juuust enough current to keep the stop solenoid engaged when you turn the key off :lol:

@Stellaghost shout it you need one I'll stick a diode in the post.

• Thanks 1

On 4/8/2023 at 6:57 PM, Stellaghost said:

Tried to finish brake lines today but realised I was short of two fittings and too late for shops, got some coming next week

20230408_141515.thumb.jpg.e98f0ad2a95e2d2529b3c959436c559c.jpg

20230408_163455.thumb.jpg.5a4d8bd055db5c11ffd8e27de9473416.jpg

20230408_163514.thumb.jpg.113e3b1d7c374dc397e4ab54bdbc32d1.jpg

regards Stephen 

All those brackets you have made and you resort to a zip tie for the brake lines... 

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Stellaghost said:

Just to keep you guys updated

Had great news at my consultation today whatever that was growing in my lung has stopped and is stable, they are not concerned anymore, so I'm now back on original schedule which involves 3 MRI scans over the next three years after that all being good I will be cancer free

Regards one very happy Stephen

that's great news !!

• Thanks 2