• 4 weeks later...

It's a work phone screen probably damaged with cement dust was using tablet but keeps telling me not enough memory other issue I have is forum pages don't lose have to go to specific page or if I want page 10 I have to select that page cannot read page 9 and then move on to 10 but I am a bit of a computer retard😕

Tried wheels on lightweight proper this morning good news is that width of axle with tyres is an inch narrower than my present set up so that's a tiny win for me however tyres run close to springs and obviously catch in radius arms springs may have to go inside chassis as well loads of fun close up of finished rims in pictures all taken with my potato camera 😃 also steering seemed ok and no vibration when driving so wheels must be round

20181218_140511.jpg

20181218_140608.jpg

20181218_140546.jpg

20181218_142723.jpg

20181218_142951.jpg

• 6 months later...

At last managed to get some more work done did not realise how much of a pig these diffs are to remove but managed with the help of a copper hammer a careful bit of trimming to be done before they go back together 

20190707_101428.jpg

20190707_103322.jpg

Edited by Stellaghost

Some cleaning up of back axle and portal hubs fitted along with wheels and tyres might have to make an a frame lifting beam was knackered after lifting the above on to the axle all this to get some decent measurements

20190707_132000.jpg

20190707_131954.jpg

Dilema time acording to my measurements and due to the offset I made in the wheel rims it would seem like I only have three and a half inches to take out of axle that spells out a lot of work for not a lot of gain so i decided to mock up what wheels would look like at the future finished distance luckily by reversing the wheels they have given me the correct width once bolted onto the lightweight hubs so I'm throwing it out to the forum to give some opinions thanks in advance guys

20190707_133130.jpg

20190707_133141.jpg

20190707_133213.jpg

Best in mind that the car will also sit higher once portal axle installed

Edited by Stellaghost

I would keep the original width of the axles and move the wheels to suit as that will reduce the scrub radius and hopefully eliminate any need to trim the bumper or footwells.
The slightly wider stance will add stability and effective articulation too. The only downside is keeping the original  look but some cleverly folded up wheel arches along the top of the wing and wheelboxes will hardly take away from that and I think it looks better with the wider stance anyway.

I'd say it is a bit wide, but it depends what you want to do with the car. It is just that for off roading in a forest you might have to contend with trees which are narrower than your wheels, and that can only be solved with a chainsaw. That said, if you manage to take out 1.5 inch off offset on the wheels, its probably give you what you want. The biggest problem is probably going to be the  steering ball joints on the front axle.

Daan

• 3 months later...
  • 5 months later...

You know what it's like Mo life gets in the way been tidying house up for a move but that's on the back burner due to mr covid  built the A frame to assist with moving my lathe and milling machine before you know it several months have passed moving onto a temporary shift pattern which will give me more time at home so hoping to restart soon regards Stephen 

• Like 2