3 minutes ago, De Ranged said:

I love that comment, it is about the journey of building it.... the fun of solving the problems 
When you farm out jobs it becomes more about finishing than the journey and in my case takes a bit of sparkle out of the whole project lol keep up the good work 

Oh and I'm with Mike, you have plenty of strength in that.... and worst case if it does go it will bend not brake due to the material choice (the fact you drilled it shows its not something silly like Bis).... my only piont of interest is the bushes, your going to get an increased leverage due to the portals, it will be interesting to see how long there service life is 

Thanks

totally agree with your comment, massive feeling of satisfaction and achievement when it all comes together and you can say it was hand built and mean it, this is by no means having a go at guys who have stuff made  its just the way I am, stubborn. 

as far as the bushes go I am looking at a single link arrangement with a large rose joint and rubber bushing together that should help take some pain away from radius arm bushing time will tell regards Stephen

1 hour ago, landroversforever said:

Playing with your geometry!

I was never any good at geometry 

12 minutes ago, Wytze said:

Who needs CAD  when you got junk

But I can work with junk

Starting to get there but nothing will be welded or cast in stone until I'm fitting for real regards Stephen 

20210807_121636.thumb.jpg.23965e0633efb37b04b83862d954041c.jpg

20210807_125045.thumb.jpg.fb7c0223f2dab6f6b4c272cb06013747.jpg

20210807_125057.thumb.jpg.0b8521b3cd1514439d960cc5da5b0f27.jpg

20210807_125118.thumb.jpg.f50dfdc964696458c734582c882e9e9d.jpg

35 minutes ago, landroversforever said:

Coming along nicely Stephen! Got any sketches of how you’re planning to make it or just going with the flow?

Going with the flow Ross only measured for this and built my 3d model on the trailer body lol

I could end up altering stuff when I eventually get to a point of seeing where articulation is going to clash if it clashes so I guess I'm riding my gut feelings at the moment regards Stephen 

1 hour ago, Bowie69 said:

Part of me is trying to marry up spending days making the radius arm ends when you could have just welded straight to the axle tube..... or am I missing part of the plan?

1 hour ago, dangerous doug said:

This

The single link is an idea I'm perusing at present if it becomes a pain with regards to avoiding sump, prop shaft etc then I can revert back to original set up by just removing the pipe from radius arms and replace with straight pipe, a!so having the metalastic bushes in will make things a bit more forgiving if the suspension gets a shock loading, on top of that I'm a newcomer to all of this, most I've done before is make my own cranked trailing arms and castor corrected front arms

Thanks for sharing your thoughts if you think I'm doing something glaringly wrong please shout out, it's part of the learning experience I like about this forum regards Stephen

Edited by Stellaghost
Addition
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 8/6/2021 at 3:10 PM, miketomcat said:

There are plenty of aftermarket radius arms I wouldn't put near a truck. I doubt you have anything to worry about. You engineering is on a level with (if a little heavier) the likes of the flying spanners and I saw what they did to their trucks.

Definitely agree with the 1st half of that - the aftermarket fabricated ones are almost always some degree of scary - and the stock cast arms are undoubtedly incredibly strong, but Mr Ghost is using axles that weigh as much as the moon and which move the centre of the wheel further away (plus bigger wheels) creating a big heavy thing on a big lever so it's worth stopping to think about the loads involved.

Jez did bend a stock hockey stick Z shaped, but then we did manage to straighten it and carry on with minor reinforcements - a fabricated arm would likely have snapped.

I'm fairly sure HOFS used a jig to stretch the end of the hockey sticks (plus heat) so the eyes were further apart, in fact if anyone wants dibs on it it's kicking round the lab about to be thrown out - @Stellaghost would be very welcome to it.

How much do you want for it John don't know if I will be stretching anymore but it could come in handy as its probably adaptable it would need to be a forum relay I guess

I am trying to minimise the amount of weld fabrication but also building in dampening via metalastic / rubber bushing at each point on the triangle 

Was Jez motoring at the time, I'm not planning on hitting rallying speed's lol

On a side note I am thinking of inserting some aluminium round bar into the heavy wall pipe for additional strength regards Stephen 

Edited by Stellaghost

8 minutes ago, Stellaghost said:

it would need to be a forum relay I guess

Bugger I'm possibly doing it the wrong way around. Scotland first and then to Surrey a few weeks later otherwise I could have brought up stuff.

8 minutes ago, Stellaghost said:

it would need to be a forum relay I guess

Bugger I'm possibly doing it the wrong way around. Scotland first and then to Surrey a few weeks later otherwise I could have brought up stuff.

2 hours ago, Stellaghost said:

The single link is an idea I'm perusing at present if it becomes a pain with regards to avoiding sump, prop shaft etc then I can revert back to original set up by just removing the pipe from radius arms and replace with straight pipe, a!so having the metalastic bushes in will make things a bit more forgiving if the suspension gets a shock loading, on top of that I'm a newcomer to all of this, most I've done before is make my own cranked trailing arms and castor corrected front arms

Thanks for sharing your thoughts if you think I'm doing something glaringly wrong please shout out, it's part of the learning experience I like about this forum regards Stephen

Stephen, I have been involved with building a few “spiders” which are transverse engine 4ws mog axle tube frames with 1-links. One used a creeper joint and the other used a landrover radius arm bush(chassis end) both worked well with negligible differences but the creeper joint was probably the better bet. Both had 1-links front and rear welded directly to the axle with no issues. Both had skid plates which also reenforced the 1-link.  Not saying it’s a better bet…just simpler but your argument to fit hockey sticks at a later date if the 1link doesn’t work carrys a lot of weight and I 100% support that. As I have eluded I also have a set of portals that will eventually make it under my 110 after I’ve finished rebuilding a mini….I was going to go down the 1 link route but after seeing how well my dads D2 flexed with jointed Adrenalin arms I couldn’t sacrifice the stability for the extra couple of inches of movement which I doubt I’ll ever use in the uk and/or any events I may attend over seas. Another option you have made for yourself is potentially having 2 setups for the front. Depending on where your going or what you’re doing you could change to suite 

1 hour ago, FridgeFreezer said:

Definitely agree with the 1st half of that - the aftermarket fabricated ones are almost always some degree of scary - and the stock cast arms are undoubtedly incredibly strong, but Mr Ghost is using axles that weigh as much as the moon and which move the centre of the wheel further away (plus bigger wheels) creating a big heavy thing on a big lever so it's worth stopping to think about the loads involved.

Jez did bend a stock hockey stick Z shaped, but then we did manage to straighten it and carry on with minor reinforcements - a fabricated arm would likely have snapped.

I'm fairly sure HOFS used a jig to stretch the end of the hockey sticks (plus heat) so the eyes were further apart, in fact if anyone wants dibs on it it's kicking round the lab about to be thrown out - @Stellaghost would be very welcome to it.

Is the lab still a thing?!

• Thanks 3

11 hours ago, Stellaghost said:

I shouldn't listen to what they say about you, you actually are a bright lad .......lol regards Stephen

Even a stopped clock tells the right time twice a day.

I love everything about what you're doing, please keep the updates coming.

• Thanks 1

9 hours ago, ThreePointFive said:

I love everything about what you're doing, please keep the updates coming.

There's been precious few interesting builds in recent years, even YouTube is devoid unless you like yank tanks. Don't get me wrong the builds are still out there they just don't seem to bother posting about them. When I built my ibex I did a thread for pretty much the same reason Stephen does, to document and allow others to chip in. So yes please keep it up.

Mike

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1