9 hours ago, FridgeFreezer said:

I guess it depends what you're doing - for low-speed off-road like trialling, Procomps are fairly good value as long as they don't snap and I'll wager you're not too worried about high-speed handling :ph34r:

Never had a pro comp snap and I used to do modified trials with AWDC, being realistic and due to the weight of the axles I know I'm going to need something better than pro comp, what I'm finding is not great feedback on what I thought was some of the better shocks ie: ome, terrafirma so I'm thinking of remote res ones, it's justifying to myself whether to go £160 or £260 per corner over future use

But you right I'm more of a how high, deep and rutted type as appose to flat out, always loved the challenge of very difficult terrain, which is partially how my lightweight has evolved as in I can't get over, through that, modify and now I can, hence the quest for a stronger drive train and greater ground clearance

Of course loads of people are running bigger tyres now and due to that changes had to be made, you do get a bit sick of getting hung up on diffs between the tracks hence the portal conversion regards Stephen

Not sure what Doug ran them on, presumably his 110? Or maybe the disco before that. 

I loved my OME. I think I’m right in saying there are two different harshness of valving in them. I went from horribly soft and useless IMO procomps to the nitrocharger sport (stiffer) ones and it drastically improved the ride. They were a little harsh on road but you could throw it into roundabouts surprisingly well. Don’t remember them being adversely harsh off-road. If I wasn’t going longer travel I’d have kept them for sure. I was running them with standard springs. @dangerous doug what did you have them on and what springs?

6 minutes ago, landroversforever said:

Not sure what Doug ran them on, presumably his 110? Or maybe the disco before that. 

I loved my OME. I think I’m right in saying there are two different harshness of valving in them. I went from horribly soft and useless IMO procomps to the nitrocharger sport (stiffer) ones and it drastically improved the ride. They were a little harsh on road but you could throw it into roundabouts surprisingly well. Don’t remember them being adversely harsh off-road. If I wasn’t going longer travel I’d have kept them for sure. I was running them with standard springs. @dangerous doug what did you have them on and what springs?

Ross where did you get your fox shocks from it you don't mind me asking regards Stephen

51 minutes ago, landroversforever said:

They were in a devon4x4 kit And on the 110 yes. I am not saying they were a bad shock. just harsh off road compared to the shocks I currently have and other vehicles fitted with fox. They were great on the road and the truck handled well in the corners but as I say, Offroad I would become winded. 

The set up:

devotech front springs

standard 110 rear truck springs

adrenalin front arms 

extended gigglepin rear arms with a 3” creeper joint

3” creeper on the a frame

using a mix of genuine bushes and poly bushes 

so make of that what you will. Should also point out mine is a single cab pick up, no bed floor or ribs, ali V8, no chequer plate, hd bumpers or steering guard and I don’t bolt all the usual landrover assisiated tat on to the car so it is “light” compared to other vehicles fitted with this kit. They diddnt work for me as an Offroad shock

• Like 3

I'd say the OME's are hard to beat. Fox truck shocks were better still, but I bend the pins on max articulation. I still intend to have them rebuild and fit sphericals at the bottom. I think they are the best bang for buck shock for a landrover.

• Like 1

They were +2", which makes them 10" I think.

I used these at the front:

https://www.prolinx.biz/Catalogue/Shock-Absorbers/Truck-SUV/Land-Rover-Shocks/Fox-20-Land-Rover-DefenderRange-Rover-Front-PSeries-RRes-2-FOXLANDROVERDEFENDERFRNTPS2RR

And these at the back:

https://www.prolinx.biz/Catalogue/Shock-Absorbers/Truck-SUV/Land-Rover-Shocks/985-24-080-Landrover-PS-Front-2-Lift

It was like that as that was all that prolinx had in stock, and I needed them in time for Croatia.

I since came to realize the IFP at £155 is insane value. I would have them all around and replace the bottom rubbers for spericals. Best bang for buck by a very long way IMO.

Daan

• Thanks 1

To be fair, you could also replace the bottom rubbers for softer ones, like the procomp ones. I don't think there is anything wrong with the design of the shock as such, but the bushes are polyurethane, and rock solid when done up, which caused them to bend. I think any other shock would have done the same with those bushes. The angle they go through on max articulation is quite large.

Looking at the extreme 4x4 ones at the moment, they look like a spherical set up on the bottom, remote res as well, they also look longer for increased articulation and the colour scheme ties in with some stuff on my lightweight, will probably ring them next week to see what the crack is. If they are built by Ohlins I will most likely give them a try regards Stephen

On 9/24/2021 at 8:24 PM, Daan said:

I'd say the OME's are hard to beat. Fox truck shocks were better still, but I bend the pins on max articulation. I still intend to have them rebuild and fit sphericals at the bottom. I think they are the best bang for buck shock for a landrover.

I agree.  OME Dampers are a great replacement for OE.  The valving has enough bandwidth (that probably isn't the right term applied to dampers) to work well with a wide variety of vehicle masses and spring rates.

Fox on the other hand (at least, the ones I've had) are quite narrow band - so you have to be prepared to play with the valving to achieve critical damping and don't have enough bandwidth to cope with the difference between empty & fully laiden.  When you have set them up right - they're blistering.  However, for most people, it's not worth the time / hassle of rebuilding the shocks several times to get it spot on.  So, in conclusion, unless I became a lot less busy, I'd fit OME!

Edit: Having clicked on Daan's link, these are not the same kind of Fox dampers I'd used.  Mine had spherical joints on the ends - and they don't seem to sell anything like them any more!

16 minutes ago, Stellaghost said:

Oh it's like that so " there extremely helpful and friendly staff" is carp seems the way of a lot of things these days unfortunately regards Stephen

I wouldn't use them anyway... they're the orange extreeeeeeeeeem brigade and rose like a phoenix from the ashes of Scorpion Racing (wonder if the forum will change that spelling :P)

On 9/24/2021 at 2:35 PM, Stellaghost said:

Ross where did you get your fox shocks from it you don't mind me asking regards Stephen

Mine came from @discomikey @ Blackbird Industries near Sutton Coldfield.

On 9/26/2021 at 2:44 PM, simonr said:

I agree.  OME Dampers are a great replacement for OE.  The valving has enough bandwidth (that probably isn't the right term applied to dampers) to work well with a wide variety of vehicle masses and spring rates.

Fox on the other hand (at least, the ones I've had) are quite narrow band - so you have to be prepared to play with the valving to achieve critical damping and don't have enough bandwidth to cope with the difference between empty & fully laiden.  When you have set them up right - they're blistering.  However, for most people, it's not worth the time / hassle of rebuilding the shocks several times to get it spot on.  So, in conclusion, unless I became a lot less busy, I'd fit OME!

Edit: Having clicked on Daan's link, these are not the same kind of Fox dampers I'd used.  Mine had spherical joints on the ends - and they don't seem to sell anything like them any more!

The fox factory mount dampers are indeed a different product from the universal race dampers you are referring to.

They are direct fit, plug and play shock absorbers. They can still be rebuild and revalved, should you wish so, but they are meant as a quick and cheap way of getting fox shocks on your truck:

https://www.ridefox.com/product.php?m=truck&t=shocks&partnumber=985-26-123&make=Land Rover&model=Defender+&year=2013&position=Rear

Here is a video which shows you the specifics (you need to look past the commercial waffle, as usual):

I like the concept though.

Daan

I went off OME when the production changed and they went super hard. I simply don't need them that hard.

I do like a Bilstein. But for the last 7 years I've been running Raw4x4 Nitro Max. 50k miles, no issues. They have big bodies, so hold lots of oil and cool well. The paint isn't brilliant, but after 7 years they are ok with no advisories.

I was thinking of changing them this year, but after last weekend, marshalling for BAMA at Bovingdon, and having to do some fairly high speed hooning on the gravel tracks to get from TC to TC, lock and unlock gates etc, I think I'm just going to give them a coat of paint.

The bushes are supplied by superpro, so don't wear out. loads of travel and they damp well.  Only reason I ended up with them is that SuperPro were based in my village and they used to sell Raw 4x4. I bought a set, which had been built in the Argentina, just before all manufacture was moved to Canada. The Argentinians weren't happy about losing there jobs, so vandalised a number of shocks. Mine included. I fitted them and all four let go there oil in a big way. So SP gave me a replacement set, and those are the ones still on the vehicle. As and when they go I will look at Raw 4x4 again - without doubt the best shocks I have ever used.

• Like 1