Whilst not hand made by our dear Stephen they were designed in the age of the Victorians I know a chap with a container full of 6.2 and 6.5 GM V8 diesels...

Dare I say fitting one of those in a lightweight would be a challenge :blush:

6 hours ago, Ed Poore said:

Whilst not hand made by our dear Stephen they were designed in the age of the Victorians I know a chap with a container full of 6.2 and 6.5 GM V8 diesels...

Dare I say fitting one of those in a lightweight would be a challenge :blush:

Stop it.... Stop it....... STOP IT...............

Regards Stephen

7 hours ago, Ed Poore said:

Best place for them isn't it? Never heard much good about them TBH other than they make a lot of torque.

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, FridgeFreezer said:

Best place for them isn't it? Never heard much good about them TBH other than they make a lot of torque.

Good for tow vehicles because of the torque, very similar I guess to a 6BT, heavy but reliable plodder alonger,with adequate cooling that is.

Seems a lot of their unreliability reputation came from conversions where they didn't up the cooling system adequately (if at all) and expected a radiator from a 2.5l engine to handle cooling a 6.2 lump when pushed hard.

8 hours ago, Ed Poore said:

Good for tow vehicles because of the torque, very similar I guess to a 6BT, heavy but reliable plodder alonger,with adequate cooling that is.

Seems a lot of their unreliability reputation came from conversions where they didn't up the cooling system adequately (if at all) and expected a radiator from a 2.5l engine to handle cooling a 6.2 lump when pushed hard.

I thought the problem was they had no top end but enough torque to twist a LR gearbox in half without trying. Also the overheating and massive weight and less than stellar fuel consumption.... :ph34r:

• Haha 1

7 hours ago, FridgeFreezer said:

I thought the problem was they had no top end but enough torque to twist a LR gearbox in half without trying. Also the overheating and massive weight and less than stellar fuel consumption.... :ph34r:

I can't remember what gearbox Bob used to put behind them but he had some 0.9 (or perhaps greater) gears made for an LT230 - by the same company that originally cut the gears for LR.

He did a fair few conversions for people (few Defenders and Classics) and they were great tow vehicles by all accounts. They're basically a lorry engine like the 6BT so like pootling along at basically idle and probably therefore less than stellar fuel but then they are a big unrefined diesel lump so what you lose to fuel efficiency you make up in simplicity and reliability.

I queried the overheating issue and the explanation was this. Basically to make them fit people needed an adapter plate which was usually some big lump of Ali which meant pushing the engine forward and thus losing space. They then stuck a smaller radiator on and lost the viscous fan and we all know diesels do not like overheating.

What Bob did was cast some custom bell housings that took any GM bolt pattern to any Land Rover transmission bolt pattern. Thus he kept the engine further back and kept the viscous fan. He could then fit a Saudi spec radiator which, in the UK, was sufficient for keeping the thing cool when under load.

Much as we like to bash the Americans I can't imagine the US Army would have signed off on using them in the Hummer if the engine was a complete pile of dung.

Sure there are better, more modern engines, but there will always be.

I did consider fitting one when I snapped the first crank since there was a turboed 300 mile 6.5l sat next to the Defender in his yard when I was pulling the old engine but I had the same arguments, a lot of weight for no more power (as standard) than a 300Tdi but it did have quite a bit more torque but you'd have to fiddle gearing to compensate for the lack of top end.

1 hour ago, Ed Poore said:

I can't remember what gearbox Bob used to put behind them but he had some 0.9 (or perhaps greater) gears made for an LT230 - 

Ed did you get anywhere enquiring about the .9 box for my mog axle project regards Stephen

17 hours ago, Stellaghost said:

And that's the other side done

Made

20211016_171050.thumb.jpg.c5b03bdd865d0503fefef732042449fe.jpg

threaded bar helping with alignment along with a digital level

20211016_172018.thumb.jpg.9cb60594a61ab91a40f0ff0631b2c187.jpg

tacked into position 

20211016_172029.thumb.jpg.f2d1f903c3d7d8f162e12e9b1e615f0b.jpg

both radius arm ends fitted regards Stephen 

20211016_173709.thumb.jpg.4a1f4725ccc56f76d0fe346be6b9e50c.jpg

20211016_173735.thumb.jpg.9221a9d70e20696a0147503cc0276210.jpg

Your workbench looks the same as mine.  It needs to look like a war zone😁

1 hour ago, Stellaghost said:

Ed did you get anywhere enquiring about the .9 box for my mog axle project regards Stephen

I made an inquiry. He said there was one but you have no idea of how difficult it will be to find it.

He didn't do anything sensible like label it so it'll be a case of trawling through the yard and finding the 50 or so LT230s that are probably lying around and then either pulling off the plate to check or counting turns.

46 minutes ago, Ed Poore said:

I made an inquiry. He said there was one but you have no idea of how difficult it will be to find it.

He didn't do anything sensible like label it so it'll be a case of trawling through the yard and finding the 50 or so LT230s that are probably lying around and then either pulling off the plate to check or counting turns.

No rush bit off needing it yet thank you regards Stephen

1 hour ago, Wytze said:

Your workbench looks the same as mine.  It needs to look like a war zone😁

Believe me it is a war zone, I am OCD (CDO) about throwing things out and work isn't so I keep collecting useful stuff, think its an illness lol regards Stephen

• Like 1

Believe me it is a war zone, I am OCD (CDO) about throwing things out and work isn't so I keep collecting useful stuff, think its an illness lol regards Stephen

I'm the same, with that..  at work , i'm the one pulling stuff from the scrap bin😁

1 hour ago, Anderzander said:

They would, already been looking at them but Ed came up with the box thing so looking at that also as long as it's not in a Ross time zone lol regards Stephen

They would, already been looking at them but Ed came up with the box thing so looking at that also as long as it's not in a Ross time zone lol regards Stephen

I have a 1.003:1 box (in bits) here if you get stuck and fancy yet more work :lol:

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 10/17/2021 at 5:50 AM, Stellaghost said:

And that's the other side done

Made

20211016_171050.thumb.jpg.c5b03bdd865d0503fefef732042449fe.jpg

threaded bar helping with alignment along with a digital level

20211016_172018.thumb.jpg.9cb60594a61ab91a40f0ff0631b2c187.jpg

tacked into position 

20211016_172029.thumb.jpg.f2d1f903c3d7d8f162e12e9b1e615f0b.jpg

both radius arm ends fitted regards Stephen 

20211016_173709.thumb.jpg.4a1f4725ccc56f76d0fe346be6b9e50c.jpg

20211016_173735.thumb.jpg.9221a9d70e20696a0147503cc0276210.jpg

Just a little Q why mount the radius arms this way (under the axle)? If you put them over the axle your pivot piont is still through (guesstimating) the center of the axle tube and you would gain 3/4 to an Inch more ground clearance from the look of it, not that your going to be short on ground clearance lol 

I can't see any dynamic (handling characteristic) that is going to change with either the one link or radius arms..... am I missing something ?

12 minutes ago, De Ranged said:

Just a little Q why mount the radius arms this way (under the axle)? If you put them over the axle your pivot piont is still through (guesstimating) the center of the axle tube and you would gain 3/4 to an Inch more ground clearance from the look of it, not that your going to be short on ground clearance lol 

I can't see any dynamic (handling characteristic) that is going to change with either the one link or radius arms..... am I missing something ?

I've put it underneath because on top it would create other issues with spring mounts and like you said I'm not overly worried about losing a little bit of ground clearance there, I was always happy with how it performed before, the axle conversion is purely an itch that had to be scratched

Handling characteristics as yet I don't know about but I would expect to gain more articulation from a single pivot point than two radius arms, time will tell, thanks for your thoughts with your knowledge I value your input even if I don't act on it regards Stephen

• Like 1

20 hours ago, De Ranged said:

Handling wise, the one-link removes the roll stiffness of the radius arm bushes so body roll will be increased.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Anderzander said:

The back is done and glorious - What’s left on the front axle then ?  is it just to fully weld these brackets, then paint and build it all up ? 

Seems like it is close to making its first appearance under the LWT to me ? 😁

Bump stops and pan hard rod brackets, paint, build and then see about getting them under, at which point I will decide to reduce width or create some half decent wheel arch extensions regards Stephen 

• Like 1