For once I agree with the heavyweight engineering - mog axles are a huge sprung weight and you're adding about 4-6" of leverage in the portal box offset (so like going up 8-12" diameter in the tyre) plus presumably you're not going to be running a set of 7.50's on them when it's done, so the huge extra weight plus huge extra leverage on the suspension links needs to be accounted for.

Lower shock mounts bit of a pain as they need to be in and around the cast section of the axle so need to pick up on available bolt points as appose to good old welding amazing how much extra time goes into fabrication when you dont just want to weld on 20200813_150901.thumb.jpg.a8df25d7dbfa595eef754bc692970b18.jpg20200813_151440.thumb.jpg.1ad9080b88d5bbb833b898cf92a02d1f.jpg20200813_151909.thumb.jpg.a8ea72525016a62c1de8893b7af8cd34.jpg

In position

20200813_152120.thumb.jpg.904049389eb6d60bb83bd87ebda22237.jpg

Now the other side

20200813_152417.thumb.jpg.3c402bd14a5de934cfb8b7b7e3c477fb.jpg20200813_154509.thumb.jpg.3c62ff88c1728aaef410eb72a1b8794d.jpg20200813_163130.thumb.jpg.66ad2724183cb70325babb61f05773de.jpg

Also in position and tack welded

20200813_165341.thumb.jpg.514a6dbce2f76078be007dd9e0a90407.jpg

Finished lower shock support now to make the other side regards Stephen 

20200813_165906.thumb.jpg.a85be9865f8994edfdea55d14b9449f1.jpg20200813_165915.thumb.jpg.e7659f36a3264af05a70ea409efc6b0e.jpg20200813_165924.thumb.jpg.d3f008e3dca78b707c03ac89de95d9d5.jpg

Edited by Stellaghost
Add photos

14 hours ago, FridgeFreezer said:

For once I agree with the heavyweight engineering - mog axles are a huge sprung weight and you're adding about 4-6" of leverage in the portal box offset (so like going up 8-12" diameter in the tyre) plus presumably you're not going to be running a set of 7.50's on them when it's done, so the huge extra weight plus huge extra leverage on the suspension links needs to be accounted for.

Absolutely, looks perfectly suited.

• Thanks 1

On 8/13/2020 at 11:05 PM, FridgeFreezer said:

Shouldn't that be UNsprung weight?

In a ground vehicle with a suspension, the unsprung mass (or the unsprung weight) is the mass of the suspension, wheels or tracks (as applicable), and other components directly connected to them, rather than supported by the suspension (the mass of the body and other components supported by the suspension is the sprung mass). Unsprung mass includes the mass of components such as the wheel axles, wheel bearings, wheel hubs, tires, and a portion of the weight of driveshafts, springs, shock absorbers, and suspension links. If the vehicle's brakes are mounted outboard (i.e., within the wheel), their mass (weight) is also considered part of the unsprung mass.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Unsprung_mass

• 4 weeks later...

Seeing as you've asked so nicely.....................possibly, depends if mods allow me to or will I have to make up another thread for the other stuff I'm planning on doing .....  not that it will be overly exciting !! Regards Stephen

Edited by Stellaghost

32 minutes ago, Stellaghost said:

Seeing as you've asked so nicely.....................possibly, depends if mods allow me to or will I have to make up another thread for the other stuff I'm planning on doing .....  not that it will be overly exciting !! Regards Stephen

I reckon it will be! All builds are exciting! (Apart from mine with the glacial pace :lol:). Up to you if you want to carry on here or start a new thread I think. 

So have decided to keep the same title  there will be a lot covered within this thread that is not axles but pertinent to the conversion  for example the rear body length will need to be extended due to the fact I cut 10" out of it in my quest to minimize rear overhang as shown in the photos 

How it should be

20200918_184236.thumb.jpg.7f0ce0fb20b7ec9b1b0637ff6877c512.jpg

How it is

20200918_184220.thumb.jpg.70d44ead00e7086dc91f9cd826cfccaa.jpg

In hindsight possibly a bad decision around 30yrs ago

Suspension and chassis mods will all be part of this thread for obvious reasons

General tidying up and other stuff I will put in separate threads as I did with my front and rear winch refurb but the general idea is to give it a long overdue tidy up but not to a ridiculously high standard as when I play  I tend to play hard and you dont get much harder than modified trials which is what I used to do with it 

So future jobs apart from the obvious

Scratch build a new vent panel just undecided as to whether to do it in mild steel,  stainless or aluminium

Bulkhead steelwork to renew

Explore making my own disc brake hand brake set up

New seats and harnesses 

Possibly make new wings as mine are getting tired

Stuff I've already done is coiled it, fitted a v8 now 200tdi , self made dislocation on suspension, front shocks located outside springs, made a rear cross member out of 5" C section ( tin worm getting nowhere with it after 25 year ) 3mm thick stainless steel petrol tank ( you can Jack off it ) with external fill conversion  , self made internal roll cage which mounts similar to military type so I can still use rear tub and fitted an lt77 

That's about it sorry if I put you to sleep regards Stephen 

Edited by Stellaghost
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Great thread. 

I wanted to do this on my 110 (mog axles) but quickly realised I didn’t have the time to commit to the build. 

Is the second picture with the axles fitted. What does the truck look like height wise with them on?

how many hours do you think it’s taken to get to this point?

Rich 

17 minutes ago, C18RCH said:

Great thread. 

Thanks

I wanted to do this on my 110 (mog axles) but quickly realised I didn’t have the time to commit to the build. 

Its not just time the project is also expensive and if like me you want to fabricate most if not all the stuff yourself then costs go even deeper for example I bought a lathe to help with the conversion cannot do it without one.

Is the second picture with the axles fitted. What does the truck look like height wise with them on?

The second picture is my lightweight on coils with a 2" lift the first picture is bog standard series 2a on leafs. Axles not ready yet still loads of fabrication and more importantly thinking

Would not like to guess for example it took 10 / 12 hours on the lathe to make each disc so near enough a weeks work to make all 4 converting the rims to fit landrover hub and tubeless took about a couple of weeks you get the picture somebody once said to me for every hours work there is about 3 / 4 hours thinking time

Rich 

Hope that answers your questions, most people will also tell you its more about the build than anything else, there is an immense satisfaction in doing it, length of time is of no real consequence its ready when its ready regards Stephen

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Stellaghost said:

Hope that answers your questions, most people will also tell you its more about the build than anything else, there is an immense satisfaction in doing it, length of time is of no real consequence its ready when its ready regards Stephen

It is amazing how the time gets eaten up, even on the little things. 

2 hours ago, C18RCH said:

Great thread. 

Rich 

From what I can see the first is a std leaf sprung lightweight, the second a coil sprung RRC lightweight hybrid (same body?). Prosumably this thread is about putting the 404 axles on the hybrid?