Grounds & water

seaswood

A little over a year ago the horn started to act weird & eventually one night coming home stopped working.

i stopped pushing the stalk immediately went home & started the process of undoing the wiring harness in the four corners.

Besides the normal bits I should of fixed previously I did not find any damage. 

Never did understand the rear white lights called? I fixed those to work properly with stalk on steering column.

The horn wire which had a wire sleeve from horn to L fender was full of water.

I did add more ground wires where it had been cut in drivers wheel well & added one to starter ground to firewall.

this is a xmod d-90 2.5 D, so there are different grounding straps in place.

the original wiring I had pulled from frame & rewrapped during rebuild process.

Around the same time the oil temperature gauge stopped working?

over time I replaced gauge & sender the wire to sender had continuity & voltage to oil temp was same as to gauge for water temperture.

The water temperature gauge still works & looks like they do indeed share the same ground.

The oil temperature gauge although is still not working?

i did run another ground to somewhere in dash that had same result?

Also the wiper washer may also be affected otherwise everything else still works.

i am beyond scratching my head on this, great vehicle otherwise.

Most problems are down to a bad earth. 

There is an earth connection from battery to gearbox/engine. 

There is an earth connection from battery to body

There is an earth connection from bulkhead (near fuel filter) to loom. 

There is an earth connection from inner wing to headlamps/horn 

The Lucas bullet connectors throughout the loom get corroded over time and need a clean to be good 

If you have the fusebox with glass fuses, clean the fuses and the holders as they also get coated over time with some kind of corrosion. 

It is a simple wiring loom - if you have a diagram it is easy to work with a volt meter and identify most problems. 

As the water temperature use the same ground as the oil temp & is supplied the same power, it is odd oil temp does not work.

i was all over this all last summer, virtually every connector was inspected I could get to & replaced where necessary.

all the grounds you mention are there, maybe the fuse holders although I did check voltages at the fuse box.

Assuming the oil temp gets signal from the oil filter housing ground same as water temp & same voltage as water temp.